THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Re-cut chekering question accurate innovations stock

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re-cut chekering question accurate innovations stock
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted
I have this stock made by accurate innovations. It looks like a good piece of wood and put together well, and I like the stock overall, except for the checkering.

I'm wondering it the checkering can be cut using the existing pattern without much fuss. Is it worth the trouble?

Thanks, KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you just want to piont up the diamonds, it looks like flat top checkering from here, the answer is yes. If you don't like the square shape of the diamonds I would say no. What is it exactly that you don't like??? --- John303

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please dont destroy this magnificant piece of art Wink, as it is done with the famouse "flat top checkering"
From what i'we learned in former posts it is a highly delicate proces to make those "flat top chekerings" and it can only be done to this level of perfection by highly skilled craftsman.

Further, on your stock it is even made without the small "upses" that carakterise a handcut "flat top checkering".

But from the perspective of a pure amature, it is just a checkering that need to be finished, so just cut the lines deeper to get the diamonds sharp pointed. It should be easy, as the lines in your checkering is straight and with equal linedistance, and no overrun

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
I don't like the feel of it. It doesn't really increase the ability to get a grip on the stock. IMO the checkering is mostly just for looks. However it will do, since I'm planning on using the rifle under conditions that will not put much demand on it, except accuracy.

For hard use, I have Ruger stainless with Hogue stock, which I can use as a walking stick climbing steep places, or in the boat in salt spray, or on a four wheeler.

I'm just wondering. Pointing up the diamonds would probably be just fine.

KB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to watch my GS Ellis Simon recut checkering on many custom stocks,it's tedious but well worth the results.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
That looks done intentionally. If you bought it directly from them and didn't specify flattop checkering, send it back for correction. If you got it secondhand, any good checkerer can point it up, but if will cost about the same as a job from scratch. It still might be worth a call to them to see what they would charge to point it up before going on the market.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
I bought it second hand, and the checkering was done that way intentional by A.I.

It's the second A.I. stock I bought for this project. The first one was previously fitted to a barreled action and the barrel was not centered in the channel. It's a flaw that I'm not willing to accept. So the project has been on hold for several years. Then I got this stock which has not been fitted to a barreled action.

I have a really pretty little Winchester short action push feed and Williams bottom metal, and a chrome moly Loathar Walther 7mm #1300 barrel. Should all fit together to make a pretty 7-08 for hunting deer and hogs.

KB

one of us
posted Hide Post
This pattern is cut as a closed end design. Most people would not cut this style on a custom stock. Look back at the other patterns cut by the better stockmakers and compare.

On a point type pattern it is generally considered an open end pattern until you space up to the end area and make the line come out with the pattern. This makes for a pleasing design.

This pattern appears to be a machine cut pattern, and not what I call custom work. I may be wrong, so if you find out let us know.

If it were my stock I would cut it off and recut with a better design pattern.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Now that you mention it Les, A.I. does a lot of laser designs. This may be laser-cut.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
I'm very close to certain that it is laser-cut. If not, it is machine cut somehow. I'm certain it's not hand cut.

I'm not sure what difference it makes. It is what it is. Im considering whether to just leave it alone, or if it's worth consideration of improving it.

KB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kabluewy:
I'm very close to certain that it is laser-cut. If not, it is machine cut somehow. I'm certain it's not hand cut.

I'm not sure what difference it makes. It is what it is. Im considering whether to just leave it alone, or if it's worth consideration of improving it.

KB

Probably your right, but there is a few "upses" at the front upper part of the checkering on the pistolgrip, that indicates handmade.

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I would not try nor recommend "pointing up" that checkering. You would not have diamonds, but instead squares and it IMO would look very odd. If you want it checkered it will have to be sanded down, refinished and properly checkered.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally, if it were mine, I would leave the checkering alone. I would instead put a border around the checkering, fine on the sides and that beveled style (forget what it's called) on the ends. Would finish it off and get rid of that machine made look. FWIW --- John303

One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
I have the same stock and the same checkering. It is laser cut. I have used several of their stocks and won't use their checkering anymore. For better or worse I an going to try and point it. They have a pattern called "fish scale" that is very useful with good feel and not bad looking. The laser designs are nice but not classic. Their stocks do perform well from an accuracy stand point.

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It wouldn't look nearly so bad if the angle of the diamonds actually matched the angle of the point pattern.

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by montea6b:
It wouldn't look nearly so bad if the angle of the diamonds actually matched the angle of the point pattern.

That's true

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
That's true

SCI lifer
NRA Patron