Find
Notify
Tools

.264 Winchester Mag, thanks to Tip Burns
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Friends-

I am way overdue in publically expressing my appreciation to Tip Burns on a project that he did for me. I had Tip and John Valicek rebarrel and restore a Browning Safari in .264 Winchester Magnum. I purshased the rifle off of an auction sight and I thought is had a lot of potential but, it was in pretty sad shape when I purchased it. In addition, it had a 22 inch barrel on it, which was standard fare for Browning Safari's in that day. What were they thinking.

Anyway, it now sports a new 26" Krieger in the Browning "Double Step" pattern. It bares the original stock which has some fantastic fiddleback wood, no thanks to my lousy photography. The bottom metal is the original aluminium but, it sports a new floorplate thanks to our own stonecreek, the .264 Win Mag guru. The trigger guard has been re-annodized.

My apologies for not being a better photographer. I'll post the before pictures in a couple of days.

Thanks,

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
very nice wood!

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimatcat:
very nice wood!

And that's an understatement!

I need to go see Tip again soon myself.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark, a while back I bought a Browning Safari that had the best wood I'd ever seen on a Safari. It now has the second best wood I've ever seen on a Safari... Mine's not as dark, but lots of fiddleback. It's a .458 WM and shoots way better than it has any right to. I'm a big fan of the old Brownings...

Nice gun, well worth whatever it cost to restore...

MKane160

You can always make more money, you can never make more time...........LLYWD. Have you signed your donor card yet?

Posts: 488 | Location: TN | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

Thanks for posting those pics, I really enjoyed seeing them! Especially since I have one that I am thinking about doing something similar with. Mines a 7mm rem mag, with wood that is probably about as nice as yours that I am thinking about refinishing and re-boring to .338 WM.

Coupla a questions for you, if you don't mind. Who did your re-anodizing of the bottom metal? It looks very nicely done.

Also, any chance you have the front sight bead off your rifle? If so, would you consider selling it? Reason I ask is that the only non-original part on mine is the front sight bead, and I would like to find an original for it someday.

Thanks again, and congrats on the project!

Bob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
P.S. Meant to also say that those Buehler's on there are a nice touch too!

one of us
posted Hide Post
All-

Thanks very much for your compliments. Yes, I am a "proud dad".

My apologies, I have looked high and low for the "before" pictures but, I cannot find them anywhere. It looked pretty rough; someone had slathered what was most likely Truoil on the stock in an attempt to re-finish it a al Bubba style. The good news was that most likely saved the wood.

Blackbart, M & R Arms Specialties recoated the triggerguard/magazine box. Ask for Mr. Ron Drake, I think he's the "R" in M&R; a really nice guy, wonderful to deal with. Here's their web-site www.mrarms.com

The floorplate was found on an firearms auction site. Stonecreek directed me to that and I bought it (thanks Steve).

The Buehlers were on it when I bought it and I certainly like the look of them on this rifle.

Tip Burns has/had the old barrel. Please feel free to check with him to see if he still has it; if he does, I am sure that he would be more than happy to work with you on the front site. He's a member of the board and you can find him on the web, as well.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It turned out to be a real beauty, Mark. Have you had a chance to try it at the bench?

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Wow! That is a fantastic rifle. I owned one of those old Mauser action Brownings years ago in a .243win. Talk about a classy rifle!

Mark, YOU DID GOOD Big Grin

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
30 cal mf,
that project turned out Super!!!! holycow
thats one beauty 4 sure,that Krieger will drive tacks!
compliments to your smith wonderful work
post some pictures of groups.
regards thumb

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Friends-

Ya'll are going to make me blush.

Steve, I haven't had my priorities aligned correctly. I have test loads prepared, I just have not made it to the range. But, I am really looking forward to shooting it.

Terry, your comments are really appreciated based on all of the great photo's of all of your beautiful projects that you have shared with us. Some Mauser purists would probably not agree with me, but, I have always felt that the FN/Brownings were/are some of the best looking actions on the planet. I know, some people don't like the bolt release and others don't like the aluminum bottom metal. Bottom line, I like it.

Tip and John did fantastic jobs!!!!

jjmp, yes, the last Krieger I had was amazingly accurate. I can't wait to give this one a try.

P. Mark Stark

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! Another fine example of Tip's and John's craftmanship.
I too am proud owner of their art!

Great folks!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TC1,
Are you quite sure that your .243 wasn't a Browning built on the Sako Forrester action, rather than a Mauser? That is what Browning normally used for cartridges of that length, like mine in .22-250. A friend has 2 in .243 and they are both on the Forrester action as well.

Posts: 386 | Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ron
the first brownings used a FN -mauser action made in belgium,then years later they used sako actions like you mention, then still later they copied weatherby present action not their vanguard,it was called the BBR. for browning bolt-action rifle, then after almost being sued they droped that after a short 1.5 -2 year run, and made the 1st a-bolt (old ) style the present new style is an improved version of the former.
regards Wink

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Friends-

I finally came across some of the "before" pictures. Here they are:

P. Mark Stark