Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Don Allen stock duplicator
 Login/Join

posted
I sent an e-mail too Dakota but have not got any reply. I have read about this machine but the info is pretty scare. There are 2 moddels i guess the long one is what i need but how long stocks can you duplicate in it. And how tihgt and accurate is this duplicator. If i understand it right the Hoenig is the best but is impossible too buy an the second best is the Dakota machine. So if the mebers whit experiance of this things could help me it would bee great Smiler Or if ther is som other brand i would look at?
Thomas

Posts: 18 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 22 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Call Terrco in South Dakota. They just did an eight-spindle for me, with tilt heads, and it works great. Send me a pm with your email address and I'll send a picture or two of the machine.
Walt Hampton

Posts: 324 | Location: VIRGINIA | Registered: 27 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thomas, there is a Hoenig for sale in Oregon right now but the owner wants $20K for it. The hoenig is more accurate but it also is slower to duplicate a stock. The Dakota is a good machine. You can make vertical plunge cuts on both the Dakota and the Hoenig. The hoenig has an additional axis so it can move vertically. On the Dakota, you can unlock the head and the stylus will guide the cutter in a vertical direction. Sounds like that Terrco will do that too. That is pretty important for precise work. The difference between a 95% inlet and one from a Dakota or Hoenig is about 20 hours of inletting.

BTW, their long one is really long. The standard model will do a rifle stock, even a full length stock. Paul Dressel has one that is 8 or 10 feet. Not sure which length but it is a monster. From my understanding, Dakota only ever made 2 or 3 that long. Paul said he rarely used the full lenght. For the life of me, I don't know what would use the whole length.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm, what's a double spindle, that is single stock duplicator, Dakota worth these days?

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
Hmmmm, what's a double spindle, that is single stock duplicator, Dakota worth these days?

well new they sell for 10-14k depending of model. The price for a used i do not know.
Thomas

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Customstox:
Thomas, there is a Hoenig for sale in Oregon right now but the owner wants $20K for it. The hoenig is more accurate but it also is slower to duplicate a stock. The Dakota is a good machine. You can make vertical plunge cuts on both the Dakota and the Hoenig. The hoenig has an additional axis so it can move vertically. On the Dakota, you can unlock the head and the stylus will guide the cutter in a vertical direction. Sounds like that Terrco will do that too. That is pretty important for precise work. The difference between a 95% inlet and one from a Dakota or Hoenig is about 20 hours of inletting.

BTW, their long one is really long. The standard model will do a rifle stock, even a full length stock. Paul Dressel has one that is 8 or 10 feet. Not sure which length but it is a monster. From my understanding, Dakota only ever made 2 or 3 that long. Paul said he rarely used the full lenght. For the life of me, I don't know what would use the whole length.

Well i guess that its not the long one i would need Big Grin the only Hoenig i have only seen it on a real crappy photo but then they had an extra support that was moveable an was running on bearings looked like a smart thing. The most important things are that the build is steady an that cc on spiders tail-stock and the cutter and follower are the same or in the tenth of a mm. If those are of it will never do good and the real problems come when you turn the stock for carving the mag area mismatch then will double that error in mismatch. I have one small Italian made copy carver that works but it only takes short stocks. It got 2 engines one i going backwards too help preventing vibrations.
One bad picture

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why 8-10 Ft. long and what is it used for ?.

Most likely column carving replication just a guess on my part .

I have a back knife Lathe with 102" C too C , 20" swing for similar purposes .

Lockable indexing head with a modified traversing radial arm saw and a pattern stylus detail cutter .

That uses 3/8" X 3/8" tool steel insert cutters . It turns wood or metal .

I've often looked at stock duplicators but realized it's an investment for production replication work .

Pretty costly for a hobby machine , considering what a blank can be duplicated for . IMO .

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doc, I have no idea why they made it so long. Paul Dressel is pretty proud of it and I doubt he has ever used much of the length. With Don Allen being gone, we will probably never know why it was made that way.

Chic Worthing

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
back knife Lathe

What is that is it possible too copy asymetric forms whit it?
Thomas

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
HErre is a pic of the Hoenig I took a few years ago.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by BaxterB:
HErre is a pic of the Hoenig I took a few years ago.
Hold on a sec while I resize it...

well its still big but you can see some detail

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Holly banana Bob BaxterB ; Could you get a larger picture of that thing

so I can take 1:1 scale dimensions off of it !. Eeker Nice picture

I'm only kidding .

A back Knife lathe doesn't use a stylus type of cutter it uses a Knife or

a pattern knife . It basically drops onto the whole turning at once

or sometimes slides down the back side of the turning , such as making Bats

for an example .

Mine has a radial arm saw which drops down onto the turning and can

be traversed the length of the lathe bed . I also have a router which

fits onto the same arm that the radial saw motor set in and it turns

at lockable angles and also traverses the lathe bed . It uses same linear

bearing slides as does the saw . On the front side a have linear variable

drive which adjusts up and down and traverses the length of the bed .

This uses a 3/8" square X 3" or 4" length insert cutter , some are tipped

others are shaped tool steel . This can be used manually or self feeding

like a metal lathe uses , except mine goes in and out the entire length

of the bed but not like a metal lathe cross feed .

This cutter can follow a Masonite, plywood ,cardboard ,paper what ever material

template doing detail work .

I built mine for making Large columns for custom wood working shops for

commercial case work custom wood projects or homes .

I borrowed the above pictures as most all of my wood working projects are on 35mm slides .

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doc,
A freind called today and saw my post here and spoke to Paul Dressel at the SCI show in Reno. It seems that once again a guy overestimated th length of something. Smiler

The distance between spindle heads on the Dakota is only 64 inches. Paul did say that the frame was a bit larger but I screwed up. He has enough length in the duplicator to do a large full length muzzle loader stock.

Chic Worthing

posted Hide Post
Baxter tanks for the pic it looks too be a well built machine. Doc no i understand what a back knife is.
Customstox 64 inch long well its not a small carver he got
Thomas

posted Hide Post
After a long time i stumbled over this machine http://i128.photobucket.com/al...glund/9418464877.jpg built in Italy in the mid 80s whit hydralic turning of the spiders an high frecency motors. It has 4 motors at 18000 rpm and if you turn the motorbar you got 4 ones running 12000 rpm. And it ways 1700 kg so its bigg and steady. I now just hav too have the electrical conected so i can test run it. And the best was the price Cool

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas Haglund:
And the best was the price Cool

Come now, don't tease us like that! How much are you stealing it for?
Smiler

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Due to my lack of stock carving ability I am seriously thinking of building a stock duplicator.
For me building one would be easier then investing a few grand in a used machine and I could build it as rigid as needed

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
And the best was the price Cool

Come now, don't tease us like that! How much are you stealing it for?
Smiler

4000 us dollar ink taxes.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:

Eeker

And you can do 4 stocks at a time!?!

Jason

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Eeker

You bet Smiler I forgot 2 engines run cunter clockwise to reduce vibartions so it is all special. Now im on the hunt for a Assymetric copy late then iam set.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
a new hoenig is $20,000.00

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Eeker

You bet Smiler I forgot 2 engines run cunter clockwise to reduce vibartions so it is all special. Now im on the hunt for a Assymetric copy late then iam set.

Om du er intereseret fins en 2/3 spindlig GEIGER i Danmark Den klarer 2 kolvar udvandigt på 20min, klar for puds. Med möjlighet for båda högra och vanster på samma mall

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a picture of the machine that the students built at TSJC in 1993. I helped with the dimensions and the students got paid for their work. It can be made for less the $1000 and will do about 95% of the work in about 1 hr. I have remade the CD's and added this machine to the original machine which I made in 1983. It operates similar to most duplicators and you can make as much improvements as you like to make such as a steady rest to hold the stock pattern and blank still.

Some will say that this little machine is not accurate enough. It depends on the operater to make the stock very close and then the skill of the stockmaker to make a fine stock from the routed blank. I have made several stocks from this small machine. I only routed the stocks for my shop use. I also had a plan that I would not checker a stock unless I made the stock.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jørgen:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Eeker

Om du er intereseret fins en 2/3 spindlig GEIGER i Danmark Den klarer 2 kolvar udvandigt på 20min, klar for puds. Med möjlighet for båda högra och vanster på samma mall

Det låter intresant vart och till vilket pris?

One of Us
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
Smiler Är det du som har den?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Smiler Är det du som har den?

vi har 2 stycker utom en 5 akslig
Bildet er från en av vora kunders hemside. Du får kontakta meg på PM om du er reel intereserad av den vi har som reserv

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
bewilderedbewilderedbewilderedbewilderedbewildered

Jason

-Jason Brown

posted Hide Post
quote:

Sorry went a bit carried away.

posted Hide Post
Smart it showa that its possible too build a working copycarver at a low cost. You hve som smart solutions on this one.
Thomas
quote:
Originally posted by LesBrooks:
Here is a picture of the machine that the students built at TSJC in 1993. I helped with the dimensions and the students got paid for their work. It can be made for less the $1000 and will do about 95% of the work in about 1 hr. I have remade the CD's and added this machine to the original machine which I made in 1983. It operates similar to most duplicators and you can make as much improvements as you like to make such as a steady rest to hold the stock pattern and blank still.

Some will say that this little machine is not accurate enough. It depends on the operater to make the stock very close and then the skill of the stockmaker to make a fine stock from the routed blank. I have made several stocks from this small machine. I only routed the stocks for my shop use. I also had a plan that I would not checker a stock unless I made the stock.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Smart it shows that its possible too build a working copycarver at a low cost. You hve som smart solutions on this one.
Thomas
quote:
Originally posted by LesBrooks:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Poor devill dont you understand the new basic language on AR it is a mix of Danish and Swedish Wink Smiler

Translation is possible by Google Wink