THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    longrange elk gun - 338rum or 338/300rum in Savage

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

longrange elk gun - 338rum or 338/300rum in Savage
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I want to put together a longrange elk rifle on a budget. I would like to use a new Savage with the accutrigger for a starter. I've pretty much decided to go with a 338rum or 338/300rum, 338 lapua, or some comparable wildcat. I do handload and plan on using a muzzle brake. I have a Nightforce NXS scope off my 50bmg to use on this. Any ideas on the best way to go;
should i start with a savage in 338wm, or 300rum, 300wm? and just change barrels? any ideas here? Thanks

Skidly

Posts: 207 | Location: South Central Montana | Registered: 10 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
How far do you normally shoot at elk?? I have 2 Savages, one is a .300 RUM with the adjustable muzzle brake. I also have a .338 Mag that I use for elk. I've shot the Savage .300 RUM just enough to develop a sub .5 MOA load. I'm selling the RUM because it has just as much energy as the .338 Win and I don't need 2 elk rifles. My .338 is good to 400 yards + on elk. Do you plan on shooting further than that?? I guess what I'm trying to say is do you really need more than a .338 WIN or a .300 RUM ?? I'll make you a good deal on the Savage .300 RUM if you're interested.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i have a 300win mag now, but sometimes I feel that I want, probably not need a more powerful rifle. Actually most elk i shoot are less than 100 yards ..... but just in case i need a longer shot, I want it to do the job right.

email me on the Savage

Posts: 207 | Location: South Central Montana | Registered: 10 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you have all the rifle you need to do it right.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote