New
Find
Notify
Tools

Final finish system
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone ever used the final finish bore lapping system marketed by David Tubb?

Posts: 527 | Location: Tennessee U.S.A. | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you do a search you will find a whole bunch of threads on this topic.

A quick answer would probably be that unless you have accuracy problems due to a rough bore (confirmed with a bore scope inspection)the system is not worth the time or money.

It certainly beats trying to hand lap a barrel where you can destroy your chamber if you aren’t careful, though.

I use Schnider barrels (and so does David Tubb) and he would slit your throat if he heard you had lapped one of his barrels.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, but I have used its companion Throat Maintenance System on an Ar15 that has 3300 rounds through it. Right after smoothing out the throat, my 600 yard scores went up noticeably, and I found far fewer occasions of strays 8s and 9s. Based on that success, and based on the fact that David Tubb is not a snake oil salesman, I believe that the Final Finish system is beneficial in the right barrel. It comes with five different grits, so I would even use it to help break in a hand lapped barrel. The finer grits will spend all their abrasives on the rough throat (the part that hand lapping won't fix) and will not harm the finish further down the bore.

I have a CZ 550 that is a PITA to clean because of all the copper that accumulates in it. It's going to get the Final Finish treatment and I will add my comments to the pool.

one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
I used it on my .308 last season, and it improved the accuracy slightly. It also reduced the copper fouling by a lot (which was the goal!).

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a friend that swears by fire lapping. last one he did was a hornet that was rough and shooting 4" groups, he firelapped it and that brought it down to 1.5" I have a couple of ploblems in my head with it, but he swears by it.

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
I have a couple of ploblems in my head with it

What kind of probelms are those? That it works w/o harming the barrel?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The literature supplied with “fire-lapping†products all state that they are designed to polish “rough, or poorly machined“ bores.

They are not designed or intended to break in new barrels, especially ones from a top maker such as Schneider, Shilin, Hart, Kreiger, or the others out there. All of these companies lap and polish their bores before they ever leave their shop, and I have yet to have a Schneider or Shilin barrel that had copper fouling problems.

If you are having accuracy problems that can be directly attributed to a rough bore, with an inspection by someone knowledgable using a bore scope, then perhaps these products could be of some use. If you just want to do it because it sounds cool and is the new rage out there, save your money and time.

I would also be very surprised if David Tubb has ever used this system on one of his own Schneider barreled rifles.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote