New
Find
Notify
Tools

KNown Short Comings of the Dakota #10
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am in love with a 257 on the internet but before I buy it, I want to be sure what's wrong with all m10's. Here's my list:

1. Can't dry fire without possibly breaking the firingpin.

2. Has a extractor not ejector, so the barrel has to be turned upwards to clear the fired round.

3. Can't be cleaned the barrel from the rear without having the safety ground down.

Am I missing anything?? Well my wife isn't perfect either.

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I have a M10 in 25-06. As to the non dry firing I have no comment.

Yes it is an extractor with a little push. I open the action quickly and the case will lay about 90% out of the chamber. Easy to flip backwards with a finger. Or is the barrel is about 15-20deg up the case slides out.

I use a tipton rod to clean mine all the time. Never had an issue with it not clearing the safety.

My 25-06 will give me a very SHARP recoil due to the light weight. The trigger from the factory breaks just under 3# and it will group any weight Silver tip factory ammo at .75MOA or less.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMO, .257R is about the perfect caliber for the rifle. They are very accurate in my experience. I don't want an ejector, ramrod340 must be flexing his skinny Tipton ramrod to clean from the breech.

Dakota has a firing pin conversion they will install free of charge (and yes, the old firing pin may break with even one dry-fire). I've had one converted and the new system is much superior. Call the firm and ask about it.

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1827 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
ramrod340 must be flexing his skinny Tipton ramrod to clean from the breech

I might be. If so very little. Now the handle will not clear the stock for sure.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't know about all those shortcomings, but I did know that IMO the factory lever & trigger guard combination is ugly. Also IMO the Ruger appears to me to be a better and more desireable action in several ways. But that's chocolate vs vanilla, personal preference.

I wouldn't own a rifle (or any firearm for that matter) that I couldn't dry-fire, there's absolutely no excuse for it, ever. IMO if it can't be dry-fired 1000s of times then it's not made properly. Or worse.
Sorry, end of rant, regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
IMO the factory lever & trigger guard combination is ugly.

Reading SDH's book I believe he agrees.

quote:
Also IMO the Ruger appears to me to be a better and more desireable action in several ways. But that's chocolate vs vanilla, personal preference.

I which ways? I am a No. 1 owner and just want to learn more(because I know almost nothing).

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tom didn't ask about style, and, as I said, the new firing pin conversion is a great improvement with free factory installation.

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1827 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Absolutely beautiful.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr Brown, I like the Ruger for its looks, features, reliability, price, strength and the aftermarket options available for it. As I see things, the only reason it's not more popular (with the monied elite anyway) is that it's so inexpensive that almost anyone can own one! IMO the Dakota 10 is OK, probably as good as the Ruger for most uses, but certainly not worth all the extra money.

Unless of course the owner is more interested in impressing his peers with his Conspicuous Consumption than in making an intelligent choice! You know, kinda like the fellows who sport the big flashy gaudy gold-&-diamond Rolexes...had to get rid of my own Rolex since it stayed in the shop 10x more than my Omega, never have comprehended the Rolex attraction except the excessive price and gaudiness...

Sorry, end of rant, this thread is about the shortcomings of the Dakota and not my own philosophy. For a discussion of the Ruger we probably should start another thread, but in the meantime please see my first paragraph above.

Please don't misunderstand me, I don't dislike the Dakota at all. I just think that it's quite overpriced when compared to the Ruger since it seems to lack some of the Ruger advantages I mentioned.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J.D.Steele:
I wouldn't own a rifle (or any firearm for that matter) that I couldn't dry-fire, there's absolutely no excuse for it, ever. IMO if it can't be dry-fired 1000s of times then it's not made properly. Or worse.
Sorry, end of rant, regards, Joe

Well that means that you probably will never own a fine Double shotgun, a Sako TRG or a number of other superb firearms that shouldn't be dry-fired. Your statement is like saying that you wouldn't date Cindy Crawford because she has a mole on her cheek.

The Dakota Model 10 and Ruger Number 1's are both nice rifles. The Dakota is far lighter and handles much differently. Saying that the only reason people own them is to show off is imature jelously. The Dakota's are overpriced but they do have features that some people are willing to pay extra for, others don't. Doesn't mean in the least that someone is just trying to show off, it just means they really like the Model 10.....................................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:

Unless of course the owner is more interested in impressing his peers with his Conspicuous Consumption than in making an intelligent choice! You know, kinda like the fellows who sport the big flashy gaudy gold-&-diamond Rolexes...had to get rid of my own Rolex since it stayed in the shop 10x more than my Omega, never have comprehended the Rolex attraction except the excessive price and gaudiness...

Regards, Joe

I bet the guy's shooting NEF Handi rifles are saying the same thing about Ruger#1 owners.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:
quote:

Regards, Joe

I bet the guy's shooting NEF Handi rifles are saying the same thing about Ruger#1 owners.

Too funny! Smiler ..................DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Well I've had both a #1 in 25-06 and now a M10 in 25-06. While they are both single shots they feel totally different. The M10 is much lighter quicker to point, better trigger and in my case much more accurate. I went through dozens of handloads played with barrel pressure all the little things people do to make a #1 shoot. In my case best I could do was 1+MOA. My M10 groups several factory loading at sub.75MOA right out of the box. Never have put a handload through it.

My M10 is just a lot more fun to shoot. Would I pay $6000 for it no. Would I buy it used for twice a #1 yep took me about 5 seconds to think about it.

If I need to keep a snap cap in it so be it. However Dakota will fix the issue for free last I heard.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

posted Hide Post
quote:
...had to get rid of my own Rolex since it stayed in the shop 10x more than my Omega

You should buy a real Rolex next time instead of a Chinese counterfeit. Unless your watchmaker is incompetent, the Rolex should be trouble-free for years. I have three that have never given me a problem, and I know one fellow who's had his for 44 years now with nothing more than an occasional cleaning and adjustment.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you forgot pricetag Eeker

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have been dry-firing my fine and not-so-fine doubles for many years now, have broken some few original firing pins but that's usually from improper materials or heat-treat. Have had doubles by Westley Richards, H&H, Dickson, Blanch, Rigby & other British makers as well as some Continental doubles, several drillings and even a Hubertus vierling. Not to mention the many other US arms over the last 50 years.

I can somewhat understand an old firing pin or striker breaking from molecular changes in the primitive steel they used back then, over the 100 or so years since production of the 19th-century arms, but I stand by my statement. No modern arm made since 1950 should break things simply because it's dry-fired. That is a mark of inferior design or shoddy workmanship.

That's the reason Dakota offers to fix it free, they know anything less is second-rate.

BTW I don't own a Ruger, I like the older rifles like high walls and Cadets and Mausers. AAMOF I don't own any arm made much after the turn of the 20th century, they became less interesting to me as I matured. I used to hunt ducks with a matched pair of 1950s-vintage Browning Superposed but my L.C.Smith made in 1897 is what I prefer nowadays.

Too much flash & glitter & public display of wealth indicates insecurity (to me anyway) and is considered more than a little vulgar in some circles. You know, kinda like gold chains and big furry coats & wide-brim fuzzy hats....
Regards, Joe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey! What's wrong with wide brim fuzzy hats?

Glenn

Posts: 254 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 02 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Never associated and Dakota model 10 with flash and glitter. Oh well, It's good we have choices.

Terry

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Have been dry-firing my fine and not-so-fine doubles for many years now, have broken some few original firing pins but that's usually from improper materials or heat-treat. Have had doubles by Westley Richards, H&H, Dickson, Blanch, Rigby & other British makers as well as some Continental doubles, several drillings and even a Hubertus vierling. Not to mention the many other US arms over the last 50 years.

I can somewhat understand an old firing pin or striker breaking from molecular changes in the primitive steel they used back then, over the 100 or so years since production of the 19th-century arms, but I stand by my statement. No modern arm made since 1950 should break things simply because it's dry-fired. That is a mark of inferior design or shoddy workmanship.

That's the reason Dakota offers to fix it free, they know anything less is second-rate.

BTW I don't own a Ruger, I like the older rifles like high walls and Cadets and Mausers. AAMOF I don't own any arm made much after the turn of the 20th century, they became less interesting to me as I matured. I used to hunt ducks with a matched pair of 1950s-vintage Browning Superposed but my L.C.Smith made in 1897 is what I prefer nowadays.

Too much flash & glitter & public display of wealth indicates insecurity (to me anyway) and is considered more than a little vulgar in some circles. You know, kinda like gold chains and big furry coats & wide-brim fuzzy hats....
Regards, Joe

There's nothing like a Snob who thinks the stuff he's Snobby about is better than the stuff he thinks other people are Snobby about.

You can use whatever you like without looking down on or insulting what other people use...............................DJ

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
Well I've had both a #1 in 25-06 and now a M10 in 25-06. While they are both single shots they feel totally different. The M10 is much lighter quicker to point, better trigger and in my case much more accurate. I went through dozens of handloads played with barrel pressure all the little things people do to make a #1 shoot. In my case best I could do was 1+MOA. My M10 groups several factory loading at sub.75MOA right out of the box. Never have put a handload through it.

My M10 is just a lot more fun to shoot. Would I pay $6000 for it no. Would I buy it used for twice a #1 yep took me about 5 seconds to think about it.

If I need to keep a snap cap in it so be it. However Dakota will fix the issue for free last I heard.

It wouldn't take me long to think about a M10 for twice what a #1 cost either. The real problem is finding that kind of a deal.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
It wouldn't take me long to think about a M10 for twice what a #1 cost either. The real problem is finding that kind of a deal.

Yep that was my once in a lifetime deal. I know for a fact that it wasn't even hot. Big Grin

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too would buy a Dakota for twice the price of a Ruger. Heckuva good buy, could make some money.

And my comment about glitter had little to do with the Dakota, but much to do with folks who like lots of gaudy & gauche extras to show their affluence and supposed importance. Apparently I struck a nerve with some, the responses to such a prod can be quite revealing sometimes.

And Glenn, you forget that I've seen a picture of your brother....er, uh, excuse me, your mascot. Yeah, sure, that's it, now I remember that's what you told me to say, he's your mascot!

Can't decide which one of you needs the bigger hat....(VBG)

Look for a package in a few days, I mailed it today.
Regards, Joe

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
And my comment about glitter had little to do with the Dakota, but much to do with folks who like lots of gaudy & gauche extras to show their affluence and supposed importance. Apparently I struck a nerve with some, the responses to such a prod can be quite revealing sometimes.

So what did you learn?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steele,
Not much for gawdy Rolexs myself,some classic Rexs' are ok though, given the choice ited be a 1940-50s' classic Patek myself.
As far as SS go, its either factory #1 truck gun or an intelligent design premium swisswatch grade Hagn.(you know for those who can afford much more expensive trucks Big Grin )
If a man was limited in budget Id make sure I had a Hagn with a Leupold & plainer walnut before I spent the same on a dak10 with Swarovski & fancy walnut.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trax, the Hagn is one of the few modern actions that interest me, I'd love to have one. I think that its good looks might be able to overcome a lot of other shortcomings it may have, for me at least. IMO the Hagn built by Ed Webber and shown in Steve's book Custom Rifles In Black and White is second to none in looks. Of course a lot of that is due to Webber's unexceeded artistry and expertise, but, still, the Hagn IMO is a mighty fine-looking action indeed.

And I still say that any action that can't be dry-fired is basically a POS IMO. But that's JMO and worth every penny it cost you.(G)
Regards, Joe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks arent the only thing about the Hagn, intelligent design & swiss watch/bank vault feel & function leaves the others behind also.
Once youve experienced a Hagn or Freedom Arms revolver,most anything else struggles to impress...unless you spend alot of money trying to improve inferior designs.

Please point out the short coming(s) of the Hagn.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not aware of any Hagn shortcomings since I've never owned one; I was trying to say that if it DID have any shortcomings then the superior looks would probably make up for them, in my mind at least.

Actually there IS one Hagn shortcoming that comes to mind. They cost more than I'm willing to pay.(G)
Regards, Joe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
steele,
after have a looky-touchy-feely of some, I stopped questioning the price.The small is by far my fav.