Find
Notify
Tools

bullet tip protection in magazine
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of the_captain
posted
Has anyone explored putting a thin strip of HDPE, UHDPE, or teflon on the front wall of the magazine box to help stop bullet tip deformation under recoil? I'm thinking something that is firm and slick, yet has some give to it might help. I know that the shape of a bullet tip has little to do with its accuracy, so this is more for appearance sake - the 'feel good' factor.

Although, one might be able to argue that the BC of a bullet is adversely affected by a deformed tip, and that POI at long range might be affected to an unknown degree as you worked down through the magazine. Each bullet that sits in there through the recoil of the preceding rounds could be deformed by a different/increasing amount.

==============================
"I'd love to be the one to disappoint you when I don't fall down" --Fred Durst

Posts: 759 | Location: St Cloud, MN | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by the_captain:
Has anyone explored putting a thin strip of HDPE, UHDPE, or teflon on the front wall of the magazine box to help stop bullet tip deformation under recoil? I'm thinking something that is firm and slick, yet has some give to it might help. I know that the shape of a bullet tip has little to do with its accuracy, so this is more for appearance sake - the 'feel good' factor.

Although, one might be able to argue that the BC of a bullet is adversely affected by a deformed tip, and that POI at long range might be affected to an unknown degree as you worked down through the magazine. Each bullet that sits in there through the recoil of the preceding rounds could be deformed by a different/increasing amount.

I dont know how well that would work. It might interfere with the feeding by catching and dragging on the tip.

I have seen on some big kickers the use of vertical rods attached to the inside of the magazine that keeps the cartridge from moving forward by holding the shoulder. maybe somebody has experience with that type of thing.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
The Blaser R93 magazine well has a rubber insert, about a half inch or so thick, that fits in a groove at the front of the well. It serves the purpose you describe very well.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13410 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Captain, have a buddy who is fantical about Sierra Game King bullets, he always puts a strip of rubber in the front of his mags. He uses that pretty firm stuff from Home Depot or such that I think is weather stripping or something, it is gray. Seems to keep the soft tipped SGK's in good shape.....

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote