Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice on building a 204 Ruger
 Login/Join

posted
Well folks, I've taken the plunge. With a little nudging from an uncle of mine, I have started on my first rifle build! However, I need some advice.

I have purchased a Left Hand Zastava mini mauser that will be making a trip to Oregon as soon as I get it. There, Pac-Nor will be chambering it for a 204 Ruger with one of their super match grade stainless steel barrels. After that, it's time for a stock. My preference is for a good walnut or hardwood stock.

Here is where I'd like your opinions/input.:

1. What contour do you recommend I get for the barrel? This rifle will primarily lead the life of a prairie dog gun.
2. Where do you recommend I get a good stock from? Any and all recommendations are appreciated!
3. Pac-Nor will be lapping and truing the action, but what other action work do you recommend?
4. I plan to have another trigger installed and the barrel/action bedded. Any other work you recommend?

I think that's all the questions I have for now...but as you all respond, I'm sure there will be more!

Thanks,

Chris

Posts: 4 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Chris,

Welcome to AR!

Sounds like a neat project. As far as suggestions go, here's what I would do.

1. Primarily for P-Dogs, varmint or heavy sporter barrel contour. I'd prefer heavy sporter, myself.
2. I'd look and see what Wenig has. www.wenig.com. Lots of options there.
3. PacNor should be able to tell you if your action needs any additional work.
4. A good trigger and a quality bedding job should just about cover it.
5. Maybe a nice target crown, PacNor may include that in the barreling fee.
6. I also free-float my barrels.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
I have a PAC-NOR on my .204, I would say about a number 3 sporter contour. That makes it fairly heavy, given the small hole in the barrel. It is very accurate, especially with the 39 gr. Sierra. Hornady 40 gr. bullets shoot under 3/4" and I can afford them by bulk purchase more than the Sierra's. The things you listed will probably do all that is necessary for you to have a great and accurate Varminter. I head shoot Axis deer here in Texas using the 45 gr. Hornady and it drops them like a hot rock.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote