THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    NEW for 2006 ED BROWN Controlled round feed action

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NEW for 2006 ED BROWN Controlled round feed action
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of PATRIOT76
posted
http://www.edbrown.com/cgi-bin/htmlos.cgi/001620.1.180419054815208458

It has taken the engineering excellence of Ed Brown
Custom to finally successfully blend the advantages of
both push feed and conventional controlled feed into
one new action - the Model 704. It's a design never
before seen on a bolt action rifle. Completely
controlled feed, but without the disadvantages of the
long extractor Mauser/Winchester design. Retaining
100% barrel threads, and complete receiver integrity,
this design offers genuine controlled feed
reliability. Plus, it still has a counterbored chamber
with the bolt partially surrounded by bolt face steel.
Our spring loaded extractor is integral with the bolt,
and rotates with it, to position the extractor under
the cartridge for full support inside the chamber,
thus placing the bullet in a perfect position for it’s
exit.

Since the age of the 1898 Mauser, there has been a
demand for the controlled feed action. Winchester has
possibly done more than anyone to promote the
advantage of the controlled feed design. When hunting
dangerous game, where feeding could be a life or death
situation, the controlled feed design has become the
choice of many professional hunters.

Of course, dangerous game guns have never required a
high degree of accuracy. One does not need a half MOA
accurate 458 for stopping a charging Buffalo at fifty
yards..

Much like reliability has been the realm of the
Mauser/Winchester controlled feed action, accuracy has
been the forte of the Remington push feed design. One
finds the Remington push feed design to be the choice
of benchrest shooters worldwide. This is due to their
extreme accuracy inherent in the round receiver push
feed design.

A Mauser/Winchester type controlled feed long
extractor requires the removal of a large portion of
the barrel threads where the extractor must go.
Removing barrel threads is not the way to the most
rigid assembly. This larger receiver cut also removes
precious metal inside the receiver which is
detrimental to the rigidity, and thus the accuracy of
the entire assembly.

The M-704 has 100% uninterrupted barrel threads in a
round receiver, for maximum rigidity and strength. Yet
our massive steel extractor allows for true controlled
feeding. Our new M-704 design couples the best designs
of both worlds, while eliminating the problem areas.
It's our finest accomplishment yet.

Posts: 442 | Location: usa | Registered: 24 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mauser's can do better than 1/2 MOA, so why is this action needed?

Posts: 1547 | Location: Lafayette, Louisiana | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Price? If 2500$ I would rather buy a Graninte mountain. Looks better on a DG rifle!

Posts: 615 | Location: a cold place | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
needed or not its another opiton. I am not one to say mausers and Winchesters are not acurate, of my 14 rifles only 1 is push feed.
But True or not the perception that push feed actions are more accurate is clearly common and MR, Brown will me probly do well with this design...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Major Caliber, have you heard when the Lafayette range will be completed. I have really missed going to your fair City for BR matches for the last 3-4 yrs. It was the highlight of the year for shooters around the USA. Great food and great people. Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I may be ignorant but I did not believ there was a problem with the mauser style claw of a M70 or M98 Confused

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Lets see... how many Mauser 98 actions can i get for 2400.00 ? Big Grin

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Patriot76

Sent you a PM

Thanks
Stalker

Posts: 29 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Url doesnt show the action, just a catalog. whats up?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This looks like it may be a knockoff of the controlled push-feed model 70 that has been out for a couple of years. Their engineers may really be pirates!

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hopefully with better positioning for ejection...but isn’t this just a Remington style bolt with the Sako/M16 style extractor installed???

Not to slight his work or his products...but it has always bothered me when this company sells a rifle named “M40A2 Marine Sniper.â€

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The receiver looks like a round body. The bottom lip of the bolt face looks to machined away such as on controlled push feed actions. I could be wrong?

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
This action uses a solid pinned, M16-type, wide flanged, rotating extractor (not narrow and riveted, BTW, like that Remington POS), along with an open bolt face (i.e., no lip) on the bottom of the bolt head and a fixed blade ejector (not a plunger, like that Remington POS).

It is a highly precision-made (i.e., trued-up and CNC machined), controlled round feed, positive ejecting action. Very nice.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13667 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remington extractors haven’t been rivited (except for some magnum calibers) for quite sometime now.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quite apart from whether it was worth designing and putting this action in production, and quite apart from the quality of the Ed Brown products, the last time I enquired with the Ed Brown company whether they offered their actions (only) for sale to the public, the answer was "no". So unless that policy has changed of late, you'll have to buy an entire rifle to obtain this new action. That may be well be worth while, their products are supposedly of good quality, but it is probably better to be aware under which conditions this action can be obtained.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mho:
Quite apart from whether it was worth designing and putting this action in production, and quite apart from the quality of the Ed Brown products, the last time I enquired with the Ed Brown company whether they offered their actions (only) for sale to the public, the answer was "no". So unless that policy has changed of late, you'll have to buy an entire rifle to obtain this new action. That may be well be worth while, their products are supposedly of good quality, but it is probably better to be aware under which conditions this action can be obtained.

- mike

Exactly, and since all they've done is knock off the Controlled Round/Push Feed from USRAC, which knocked it off from Savage, it would be a hell of a lot cheaper to get a M70 CRPF and have it accurized.