THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Re: Who makes super light and Super accurate rifles?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Who makes super light and Super accurate rifles?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted
O I forgot . There is MGA (Match Grade Arms). They can probably whittle you a 700 down to about 5.5 with a 26" barrel. Of the few that I have seen Rifles Inc. are better finished though.

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
C'mon Jeffe, 7.5 to 8 lbs is a heavy weight bench gun today.

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
POP, I would suggest Jim Borden, he builds a sheep rifle that I think comes in around 6 or 6.5 lbs. There are several others that are more than qualified here on these forum's, I only named Borden as I just looked at the sheep rifle

Do you really plan on shooting a 7lb 300RUM?

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
May I suggest Mel Forbes and New Ultra Light Arms [NULA]. Forbes is the only light rifle manufacturer who actually makes his own action, as opposed to skeletonizing a Remington or Winchester. For example, the NULA medium length action [max COL: 3.0"] weighs only 20 oz---about the same as a Rem Titanium short action, if I recall. But the NULA action is smaller in diameter and holds much tighter tolerances than the Rem 700 short action. It also feeds a cartridge with a COL of 3.0", whereas the Rem is limited to about 2.790, without modification.

Forbes' rifles are very well designed. They are balanced perfectly. The stock is as ergonomically correct as anything you will find. The rifle is an integrated, well matched and balanced package, as opposed to a hodge-podge of skeletonized and assembled mass produced components.

As I recall, the NULA medium actioned rifle weighs 5 1/4 pounds. I think it can be made as light as 4 3/4. The NULA stock weighs 20 oz. This is not as light as some [eg., the Brown Kevlar pounder weighs 16 oz, but with pad, paint and bedding will be close to 20 oz.] So, although the NULA stock could perhaps be made a few ounces lighter, I would not trade it for anything else out there. Its ergonomics are superb.

I also note that NULA is now selling actions for the custom builder.

Jordan

Posts: 3478 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not an incitement for flames. But what is this facination with ultra lite rifles? The ones I've handled were crap for offhand shooting, too light, weave and bobbing. Exorbient prices. Barrel support has to suffer, due to the weaker lightened action. Pencil thin barrels heat up fast. A couple of friends had first shot/cold barrel accuracy issues.

I personally, don't even consider rifles that weigh under 7 lbs., before ammo, scope and sling.

And yes, I have backpacked above 10,000' a few times.

Just curious.

Posts: 260 | Location: ky. | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try www.prairiegunworks.com in winnipeg manitoba.They manufacture their own titanium action and have built me two 300 ultramags that average 1/2" groups.These were however not their titanium super lightweights as I prefer a heavier rifle especially in the 300ultramag.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Match grade arms?
are you frickin kidding me?

I routinely shoot .25 miles from their "shop" it should be called slop... 2000$ for what amounts to a model 7 in weight and barrel, with a 1/2 arsed paint job... I've NEVER seen one at the range that didn't have a horror story

jeffe

Posts: 39660 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote