Find
Notify
Tools

Free floating a barrel
 Login/Join

Picture of Bakes
posted
Guys
Can you free float a Ruger M77 S/S synthetic rifle? We sighted in my mates Ruger today and the groups could have been better, they were strung out in a line going off to the left. Two left handed shooters had a go and both got the same shaped groups, I had a go and got a nice tight group but at a different POI. Also had trouble with his Tasco scope, I adjusted the focus for him and all was fine untill we moved it to 8X then it went blurry. We ran out of adjustment and could not fine tune it further. I told my mate it shouldn't do that and he should ring Tasco, any thoughts on the above problems?
Bakes

Posts: 7978 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
<re-loader>
posted
Yes it is easy to free float-----I first use a 1/2 round bastard file to cut the sides down---a rat tail for the inside webs------when I have it gapping 1/8" from the barrel I then wrap sandpaper around a dowel & sand until nice & smooth. I would heartily suggest you then bed the action-- 1 inch of bed under barrel in front of recoil lug----bed lug & action back to magazine. I don't bed the tang-----too much machinery back there. After drying & trimming------you get to the range. Tighten recoil lug snug ----tighten tang snug-----now really lean into the recoil lug---then the same to the tang. The front trigger screw barely tight------shoot your group---then turn trigger screw down 1/2 turn------do this until tight-------now compare groups-----------leave that screw in exactly the same spot you had the best group. I have a few Rugers----they all like different pressures on that screw something you have to play with. Tasco scopes-----I don't know----have never had one.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Better yet have him replace that Ruger barrel with a custom barrel.

------------------
NRA Life member

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bear Claw:
Better yet have him replace that Ruger barrel with a custom barrel.

Yes better get rid of that JUNK RUGER BARREL!
My RUGER BARREL in .338WM will only shoot .274" three shot groups @ 100 yds! Sure wish I could afford an ACCURATE gun LOL!!!

Posts: 2352 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote