New
Find
Notify
Tools

Model 70 rebarrel
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am thinking about re-barreling either a pre 64 or a more current (2009) Winchester action. I will probably add a new stock too, likely a McMillan.

Would there be any advantage to using one action over the other?

If I buy another stock and it is cut for the 2 piece floor plate, is there any problem with using the adapter to make a 1 piece floor plate fit?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.

Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

Posts: 697 | Location: Dublin, Georgia | Registered: 19 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The pre-64 will have the wonderful model 70 trigger, and the action is a little shorter. The 09' will be a long little longer in the action and will handle gas from a blown case/primer much better. The 09' has a box trigger that's not terrible, but not the simple bullet proof trigger found on model 70's up through 2006.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3293 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While I love pre-64s, I am down to one. Most of mine M-70s are SS Classics. The reason is it's simpler with a newer action.

The bolt handle has better scope clearance and like mentioned the magazine is a little longer. With a pre-64 if takes some machining to convert a standard length action to 375 H&H length while the Classics and newer actions just need the spacer taken out of the magazine and the bolt stop shortened and the ejector shortened and reshaped--though sometimes there is a little bump at the rear of the magazine well that should be ground down. Sometimes the ejector and bolt stop for a 375 H&H length action will work as is.

It's easier to find stocks for the never M-70s as well. Also, I have seen a lot of pre-64s with sprung extractors and dinged up bolt faces. On the one I have now I had to replace the bolt lock, which meant buying one for another brand or action and then filing it to fit.

I have a 340 Wby on a new M-70 action (started as a 338 Win) and the new MOA trigger is decent--though I don't know why the changed it as the old trigger worked great. Beware the internal magazine well is a little different than the Classic. IIRC, the ejector and/or bolt stop from a 375 H&H length Classic can't just be swapped in, but I was able to modify the existing ejector and bolt stop--and I am just a hobbiest level gunsmith.

Posts: 3701 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote