THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advise please: .338-06 suitable muzzle diameter?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gentlemen:

I have a serious hankering for a light, pointable .338-06 on a small ring HVA mauser action. What is the nominal muzzle diameter one would want in a barrel with .338 bore diameter?

I am contemplating a 22" barrel length. I don't want the barrel to be too skinny, but I would like to stay on the light side of things. I was thinking of a muzzle diameter of .625" at 22" length. This is pretty close to a Douglas No. 3 contour. I presume this would provide adequate steel at the muzzle but not too much?

Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jordan

Posts: 3478 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
I would knock 40 thou off of the muzzle and taper the barrel at .150 per foot. That will put the weight in the back of the barrel where it will do the most good. Plus it will be trim and graceful in figure and outline.

Good caliber btw. I am considering both the 338-06 and the 35 Whelen. Practicality says go with the 35 Whelen, but the 338-06 is calling my name. Cool Big Grin Cool

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
As Scrollcutter already mentioned barrel taper IS the key to barrel contour & overall rifle balance. My personal preference is for a muzzle diameter of .600 FWIW.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I have a Douglas #3 on my 340PDK (Gibbs imp). It works fine. If you cut down to 22" the dia will be larger you would need to increase the taper.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
0.625" at 22" would be a fine choice.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a customized HVA 4100 with Brown Precision Kevlar stock, Wisner safety and pretty decent factory trigger that I am probably going to have re-barreled to .338-06 and my choice would also be .625" at 22".

I have a Dakota 76 with a 23" bbl. in .338 Win. Mag. and it's .640 at the muzzle. This rifle shoots VERY well and the balance is superb, so, I think that the slightly lighter, shorter bbl. on the .338-06 will work as well with the lighter HVA receiver.

I cannot think of a better use for a nice HVA than a rifle of this type and a couple of guys I know have done this here in B.C. in order to cope with the very rugged terrain and advancing age...pretty much a perfect choice, IMO.

Posts: 1379 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Minimum of any muzzle O.D. is .200 + the bore dia. So,with a 338-06 It would be .338+.200=.538would be your Min.O.D. Dia. So anything above that is up to you,for your weight of your finished product. van

Posts: 442 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
my 338-06 is 22" and 0.625 at the muzzle

It is on a p64 M70 and with a bansner stock, Leup 1.5-5x, steel sights, steel rings and bases, and steel fp/tg it is 7-13 unloaded. Loaded and slung the rifle has neutral balance, right about on the front guard screw.

If your HVA has steel fp/tg, it will weigh and balance very similar to my M70. Other components like the stock and scope will of course affect balance as much as barrel weight, but this should give you a rough idea.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A barrel diameter of .625 would be about the minimum for consistent accurate shooting with a decent barrel. Anything heavier than that depends on how much you hump that rifle around. I personally would prefer about a .650 diameter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My .338-06 is built on a M-98 action with a Shilen #3 barrel--their smallest diameter for .338 caliber. Barrel length is 22.5 inches and it's balanced very well. The muzzle diameter is.......(going to get my calipers)... 0.620".

MKane160

You can always make more money, you can never make more time...........LLYWD. Have you signed your donor card yet?

Posts: 488 | Location: TN | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
Hmmm, the Shilen #3 is supposed to be 0.625" at 24". Perhaps they polished the barrel a lot during install...