New
Find
Notify
Tools

Martini action question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What kind of pressures will turn of the last century Martini actions handle? I'm thinking .44 Mag/ .454 Casull class cartridges? Any thoughts? I know they will handle "old" 7 x 57 and 45-70 pressures.

Art in Wyoming

one of us
posted Hide Post
which action. the small,medium or large one. the barrel shank is a different size for each. i've seen the big one in 444 and 45-70. the medium was in 303 brit. never tested one to destruction though. its not handy right now, but i can look up dehass's opinion in his book if you like.

max

Posts: 128 | Location: southeastern pa | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know in the early to mid 70's NAVY ARMS offered the GREENER Martinis in 444 and 45-70, as well as a 12 gauge shotgun for trap shooting. Also, I think it was the 1984 edition, GUN DIGEST ran an article on the Martini and listed it as being available in such calibers as 303 British and 577 3". Most of these calibers are fairly low pressure. I think that maybe the 454 Casull might be a bit much though. If you want me to let me know and I will look up the article and tell you exactly where it is or send you a photocopy if you don't have access to it. Merry X-mas!

Posts: 1664 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
This is not a precise answer to your question, but may be useful anyway...

In 1961 I rebarreled a long-lever Martini (large action, mine was originally chambered for 577/.450) to .219 Improved Zipper, with virtually zero headspace.

After maybe 500 rounds the head of a cartridge case would seat visibly well back INTO the face of the breehblock. That made the action almost impossible to open by any method. It also indicated it was just a matter of time (probably a SHORT time) before something decidedly interesting/exciting happened. Took a bit of work to reconvert the rifle into a useable low-pressure .50-70.

What I'm trying to say here is that SOME of those actions have breechblocks which are way too soft for high-intensity cartridges. Be sure to check yours for hardness and have it properly heat-treated if it's appropriate, when that's the route you choose.

Alberta Canuck

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have been away from the keyboard for a while, but thanks for your input and offers of the reprints.

Was considering the large Martini action, haven't made up my mind.

Sounds like low pressure is the way to go. But max pressure on the Cassull is 65000 PSI, though the Speer manual loads are noted to be 45,000 PSI

As I recall some of the Martini actions were castings, anyone know for sure?

Art/Wyoming