New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 7600...good or bad?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
About to pick up a new synthetic 7600 in 243 and would like to hear about the good or bad with this model (maybe some gremlins I should keep an eye out for). Your feedback is appreciated.
Cheers.

Posts: 90 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 04 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted Hide Post
I own a 7600 that I bought new in 1993. It is in 35 whelen. I mounted a Redfield 2-7x scope on back then and it has NEVER shifted zero since. It is very accurate, My groups with 250 grain factory Remingtons are just over an inch, and the consistency is amazing. I use this rifle for bear hunting here in the mountains of PA. I have taken two black bears with it cleanly. I have also killed several whitetails with this rifle. They are not much to look at but they are reliable and accurate. They are particularly good at getting off a followup shot. When you snap your arm forward it tends to get you back on target far faster than if you had cycled a bolt.

Posts: 813 | Location: Wexford PA, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
<WyomingSwede>
posted
I had one in .243 Very accurate. Only knock I have is that they can be finicky about ammo. Certain brands just jammed in my gun. If you reload plan on using a small base die. traded it on something else I couldn't live without. Still wish I had that rifle.

swede

one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
The worst thing I know about them is their chambers are prone to rust and pitting. This of course will cause a round to stick in the chamber. And is easily avoided with normal maintenance.
I will also say that I am not sure if there are not as many "good" bolt rifles out there that have rusted chambers but also have stronger extractors.

The best thing I know about them is the only few that I have seen at the range shot like a house-O-fire. One of those in 30-06 shot close to 1/2� three shot groups at 100 yards. I have spent lots of money on bolt guns that can�t do that.
Good luck and thanks for putting another �want� in my head. [Big Grin] I�m thinking a carbine in 308 or 35Wheelen.
Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Swede,
When you say some ammo jammed, are we talking about cartridges stuck in the chamber or when loading from the mag? Some people have told me I must full length resize the brass while others have said neck sizing only should be ok. What's your view having owned one of these, bear in mind I won't be loading them hot. Not sure I understand what a small base die is. I have a set of Lee dies and was hoping these would do the job.

Thanks to you and the others for your comments.

Posts: 90 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 04 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Whelen Nut
posted Hide Post
BH

I have a pile of 7600's in 35 Rem, 270, 30/06, 308, 35Whelen. I load for all of them and use regular RCBS full length dies. I've never had one jam----ever.

I think you will be amazed at the accruacy/grouping ability of this rifle. If you are going to use factory rounds be ready to try several brands and/or bullet weights. Example: my .270 will not shoot 130 grainers very well but with 150's it is .75"

Also, it has been my experience that people sometimes confuse the 7600 (pump) with the 7400 (semi-auto). With the semi-auto 7400 it is often necessary to use the small base dies.

WN

[ 07-06-2003, 16:30: Message edited by: Whelen Nut ]

Posts: 249 | Location: Northeast WI | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WN,
Only intend to reload. do you just neck size and have any dramas getting the things to eject? I know they are an accurate rifle (for a pump) but would like the brass to go the distance if I can get away with just neck sizing. And PLEASE explain what a small base die is? Are my Lee dies small base and what's the relevance to all this?
I'm a mug at reloading at the moment but I'm sure you guys will steer me up the right path...

Cheers.

one of us
posted Hide Post
WN,
Sorry mate,
Falling to sleep and should have read your reply a little better (Full Length RCBS) It's past my bed time...

one of us
Picture of Whelen Nut
posted Hide Post
BH

I neck size for my varmint rifles only--all bolt actions.

For my hunting rifles (all pumps being a leftie) I only FL resize to avoid problems in the heat of battle with buck or bear.

My guess is that your FL Lee dies will work just fine. By they way, you can neck size with your FL die if you feel you need/want to. Just back the die out of the loader about a half to 3/4 of a turn. It will then just size the neck and not bump the shoulder. You'd have to play around with it to get it to work the way you want.

Small base dies "squish" the brass down a little more than the FL dies so the reloaded round will chamber easier in tight chambers and automatics.

I just discovered you are from "down under." It's about 9 AM Sunday morning here. Have a good snooze.

WN

[ 07-06-2003, 18:46: Message edited by: Whelen Nut ]

Posts: 249 | Location: Northeast WI | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
<WyomingSwede>
posted
I plead guilty to misreading your post. When I said finicky I was talking about a 7400 auto loader in .243, it jammed while feeding with certain factory ammo...not in the chamber.
I own three remington 7600 pumps. They are as accurate as any bolt rifle and with practice faster than an auto. My first rifle was a .270 pump and have since added two more in 30-06. I have not had a jam with my pumps either. The 7600's are not common or pretty or have the big glamourous reputation claimed by some, but for a working man's rifle...they take the licking and keep on ticking in accurate fashion.

swede

<WyomingSwede>
posted
Sorry...I use Lee full length resizing dies for mine and have had no problems either.

swede