New
Find
Notify
Tools

8.6mm rifle puzzler - solved
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I recently came into a classic Mauser sporter in an odd caliber. It's a pencil barrel on a 98 action, there are no makers marks on the outside of the action.

The problem is that I cannot determine the caliber. At first I was assuming 8x57 but the muzzle swallows an 8mm bullet (it's not counter-bored). It also swallows a .338 bullet. A .358 seems just about right. I'm thinking it might be a 9x57.

The question is the marks on the action and barrel. The barrel seems to indicate 8.6mm (as shown by the pics below). Anyone seen these marks and have an idea? The first pic is on the side of the receiver, the second on the underside of the barrel.

-

-

Thanks,

Sam B.
FireflyArms.com

[ 06-30-2003, 01:31: Message edited by: SamB ]

Posts: 497 | Location: Lewistown, PA USA | Registered: 21 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might wish to slug the bore (after all, European 9mm barrels can differ from .354 to .358) and to have a chamber cast done. Both the 9x57 and the 9x63 seem possible German chamberings.

Regards,
Carcano

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Sam--

I emailed you directions for making a chamber cast.

Add .103 to the distance from the front of the chamber to the flat of the barrel breech for *approximate* case length. Cartridges of the World or Ken Howell's excellent book, Custom Cartridges" will have case dimensions to match it up.

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Sam,

there are 25.4 mm in an inch. So 8.6/25.4 = 0.338". Looks like you'll have to slug the bore.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Comparing to measurements in COTW, it looks like it's a 9x57. The picture below shows an 8x57 round next to a fireformed case from this rifle with a .358 bullet simply pushed in place for comparison.

This, however, brings up another question. Would you mark the barrel with the cartridge designation? Would you mark it above the wood or below (to keep it externally looking as received)?

The rifle is a typical classic with a shotgun style triggerguard. Extremely light, a standing rear sight with an extra fold up leaf. Slim stock with small cheekpiece, metal buttplate.

-

Sam B.
FireflyArms.com

[ 06-30-2003, 01:38: Message edited by: SamB ]

Posts: 497 | Location: Lewistown, PA USA | Registered: 21 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
If you intend on keeping it why mark it at all?

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger asked "If you intend on keeping it why mark it at all?"

Probably the easiest answer is that although I do intend to live forever, I know it probably won't happen. At some point, someone else is going to have this rifle and maybe I'll save him/her the issue of trying to divine it's correct designation.

Sam B.
FireflyArms.com

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
In that case mark it on the underside. Do it real nice so if you ever do decide to sell it, the markings will not decrease the value. If you know a jeweler, have it engraved. $50.00 won't hurt overall.