New
Find
Notify
Tools

mauser triggers
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a sportized 8mm mauser 98. the trigger is horrible. It feels like it travels 3/4's of an inch and is about 10lbs. What can I do to fix it. Can I have it ajusted or can I get and after market one? Any suggestions?

Posts: 87 | Location: lehigh co. pa. | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
NECG sells them I believe.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Timney M98 Trigger $51.99

I run them on most of my Mausers. They work great.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's more than a couple options. I've used both Timney and Bold.

http://www.midwayusa.com/esearch.exe/search?search_keyw...to+Begin+Search.y=11

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The cheaper Timney Sportsman is a fine trigger ... minimum trigger pull is a bit over two pounds and crisp as can be.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've used both Timney and Bold.

There are probably better triggers than these two but not nearly at their price. I've used both but, mainly Timney and they are hard to beat.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you don't want to shell out $$ it is possible with very little work to tune a 98 trigger to "excellent" albeit still with the double stage. Have a look at www.surplusrifle.com or similar. I have a sporterized 98 (with after a bit of judicous polishing here and there, and a few iterations of part swaps of sear and trigger) that has a trigger that at the second stage is easily the equal of the fine Euro triggers.

Cheers - Foster

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tuning up a mauser trigger is a really easy job. bit of honing and spring tuning and you should have a nice 2 stage 4# trigger

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can use a locking set screw at the front of the Mauser trigger to take up the slack and it will be quite acceptable, then hone the sear etc. such as seen on many nice old English rifles..I like this particularly well on big bore rifles as it leaves so much more wood in place and makes the stock much stronger and you can get a very decent 3.5 to 4 lb. trigger that breaks clean...but its easier I suppose to use a Timney, and they are great triggers for hunting rifles.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41980 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never had a problem getting a military type trigger down to 2.5 to 3 lbs. I've also used the Bold and Timneys, both work great for the price.

Posts: 460 | Location: Auburn CA. | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you're not a pro at trigger and sear modification, spend the $40 and get the Timney and be done with it.

If you mis-alter that trigger/sear interface you could be creating a dangerous situation where releasing the safety could make the gun fire.

With any trigger/sear mod, always check for safe operation afterwards.

At a minimum with the rifle unloaded:
1) Cock the rifle put it on safe and pull the trigger - it should not fire
2) Cock the rifle, put it on safe, pull the trigger and release the safety - it should not fire
3) Cock the rifle, safety off (be doubly sure its unloaded for this one) and slam the buttstock against the floor. It should not fire

Whether you go to a Timney or fiddle with the existing trigger/sear verify safe operation with 1-3 above. There are I think one or two other ones, but 1-3 is the minimum

The reason I ask you to test what the safety is doing is on the Mausers the safety blocks the sear and releasing the safety releases the sear to sit against the trigger.

Posts: 78 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: 10 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's an example of what Atkinson is talking about with another screw added through the sear spring cup to adjust overtravel.

This trigger breaks at a hair over 3# and is very crisp.

Rojelio

Posts: 495 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:
Timney M98 Trigger $51.99

I run them on most of my Mausers. They work great.

Terry

I'll second the Timney trigger!

Put one in my Vz-24 - Great trigger!

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rojelio:
Here's an example of what Atkinson is talking about with another screw added through the sear spring cup to adjust overtravel.

This trigger breaks at a hair over 3# and is very crisp.

Rojelio

I have done that enough times with the Silver solder, drill and tap, drill and tap, replace the spring.

But these days, I just grind off the rear hump o the trigger and make it a single stage.
That gets it down from ~7 pounds to ~ 4 pounds, which is good enough for big game.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote