THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Ted Blackburn is trying to sell his bottom metal business.
Page 1 2 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ted Blackburn is trying to sell his bottom metal business.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just looked at Ted Blackburn's website (cncspecialtyproducts.com), and the homepage says that he is offering the rights to his product line up for sale along with some tooling.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3293 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Yep. That's been up for some time.

Wonder what he wants for it???
Oh well I ain't got that kind of money anyway.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:
Wonder what he wants for it???

You won't know until you ask. A man with your talents might make a good go of it.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3293 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
I might be talented but I'm broke Big Grin And zero credit at least business credit anyway. But you know I might just inquire as to what it would take. It might be something to think about.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
You know...I have been thinking about a career change and got some spare cash hanging around.

CNC...can a normal person run one of those things?

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
The way CNC's are.... Yes and No.

Yes you can run it. Set it up, program it. etc...

But to be efficient you should have some basic machining experience.
So you could run it and break some tools and machine stuff either way to fast or way to slow. But yeah you could do it.

I'm actually waiting for a phone call from Maggie

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Dettorre,

You could move out of California. Move to God's country.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Basic machining experience...hmmm does making sparks on a grinding wheel as a kid count?

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
Basic machining experience...hmmm does making sparks on a grinding wheel as a kid count?

Good try but nope.
Seriously though if you bought a machine and negotiated training in with the price....

We bought a new lathe one time and had the company train us by using our part we were going to make on it. It was a turn key set up. They programed it and set up all the tools. All we had to do is load material and push cycle start

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Kerry,

I am generally not allowed to pick up sharp objects. Power tools are a big no no...

I do however like Johnnie Walker Blue and have been drinking tonight.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Given the economy, it might be cheaper and easier to hire a laid-off or retired machinist than learn a new skill.

And they LIKE folks who can write checks!

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Mike,

Try the JW Gold, mothers milk at half the $$.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Try Pacific Distillery's great absinthe and you might imagine yourself IN the CNC chipping metal with your teeh...

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
I just wonder how many units he sells in a year. i.e. is it something i can make a go of full time?
Sounds pricey but if the demand is there it would pay for itself quick

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you could make more money doing something else. If Ted has the machines, fixtures, and prints and can't keep the doors open, how would you expect to buy everything and make money?
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
I think you could make more money doing something else. If Ted has the machines, fixtures, and prints and can't keep the doors open, how would you expect to buy everything and make money?
Butch

By actually filling orders

Posts: 1085 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don, At this time with Duane making quality products and the other folks in the business, I wouldn't do it. If you invest the money required for the business, a location for the machines, and material you still have a long way to go. You will have to build a large inventory to be able to compete. When I started my small gun related business the first thing we decided was to always have inventory. You can't imagine the sales we made because we actually had it on hand. Admittedly the initial expense was scarey and was very stressful. If you can overcome the initial expenses and can afford to build inventory you may have a small chance.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agreed. It takes some big coin to commission a balanced project around a blackburn or similar bottom metal.
If I wanted to get into this type endeavor it would be in the tactical arena. Backwards hat wearing, tattood younguns without two nickles to rub together think nothing of building up $2k blam blam guns and lots of businesses are doing quite well supplying them aftermarkent anodized aluminum bits.

Hell, theres plenty of shops doing ok building bits for 10-22's.

quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
Butch

Posts: 718 | Location: Utah | Registered: 14 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Based on purely a WAG, I think the economics of the business suck, especially as the deal is structured. He appears to be selling a failing part of the business and trying to keep what makes it possible to make a profit. Even if I was a machinist, there are multiple more oportunities doing custom machining. We've got a guy locally, who is truely in the middle of nowhere, Malta, Texas (population way under 500), who has more work than he can handle and is doing quite well but then again, I understand he is very customer responsive.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tell me who makes mauser actions that is making a good living. If that were the case several of the existing receiver manufacturers would be in the business.
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You wanna know something? How come all of these "experts" and "wannabes" ain't rich and famous. HMMMM

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
22WRF.

Is the Roden family still making the Granite Mountain Actions.

If so then, his start up money came from the commerical vacum cleaners he makes and sells.

The late Fred Wells also spent a LOT of time helping them out getting started correctly.

Jim Wisner

Posts: 1484 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
World is full of arm chair experts.

Howard
Moses Lake, Washington USA
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2340 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
You wanna know something? How come all of these "experts" and "wannabes" ain't rich and famous. HMMMM

It's the get rich quick folks that make me suspicious. Most people here are actually doing the opposite and urging caution. Nobody is saying you will get rich making custom bottom metal. It's a pretty niche market as I see it.

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Here's the business plan:
Make bottom metal and get as rich as Blackburn
Make other unique parts and get as rich as Wisner
Make Mausers and get as rich as Hein and Satterlee combined.

One thing that these folks have in common is that they are fine machinists; the other thing they have in common is that they probably could have made a bunch more money applying their talents to an industry other than firearms.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forrest is correct. They need to make the money with their skills and do the gunstuff as a sideline.
Butch

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would expound on what Forrest said by saying that being a good machinist doesn't make one a good businessmen.

I would further say that the lack of business acumen would cause them to fail no matter the business. Its their business/work practices that cause the failures not the industry they choose.

Howard
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2340 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trinidad now has a 3rd-year gunsmithing program for teaching better business practices. Don't know any details but it's gotta be better than the single Accounting 101 class required when I was there.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by montea6b:
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:

It's the get rich quick folks that make me suspicious. Most people here are actually doing the opposite and urging caution. Nobody is saying you will get rich making custom bottom metal. It's a pretty niche market as I see it.

Funny..I was not referring to the legiitimate commentators, only the ones from the wannabee and we know who he is.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
quote:
One thing that these folks have in common is that they are fine machinists; the other thing they have in common is that they probably could have made a bunch more money applying their talents to an industry other than firearms.

Exzactly, but when playing with this gun stuff gets in your blood...your in trouble! Wink

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, started to put in my 2 cents worth, but found that I was writing a book!

In a nutshell, I'd advise any potential buyer to KNOW CNC backward and forward

Hiring a retiree did not work for me...even here close to Boeing Aircraft. Hiring a compotent CNC programmer and operator will work if you offer a complete package of retirement, sick leave, vacation, insurances...etc.

I did get lucky..found a man with 31 years experience..met all the programming and machinist requirements and actually WANTED part time work so he could devote most of his time to sailing and sailboats.

This, of course, means my work takes a disant 2nd priority. Frustrating as hell..but he's also a good teacher.

You NEED that machine working pretty much full time. so...you NEED someone else who can be a parts changer and button pusher who works cheap while you try to generate enough income to pay for the machine, tooling, programmer/machinist and said "button pusher"

I'd advise anyone to go into this enterprise with both eyes wide open.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:

And the less of an "expert" they are in firearms the better off you are as well.

Like Duane said the job isn't making gun parts the job is running a CNC machine.

Howard
hwhomes@outlook.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Howard:
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:

And the less of an "expert" they are in firearms the better off you are as well.

Like Duane said the job isn't making gun parts the job is running a CNC machine.

As Henry Ford supposedly said, "I'm not in the business of making cars, I'm in the business of making money."

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Great advise from Duane

I am not a machinist but have done a lot of projects, evaluations, business plans and now run my own business.

• You have to know what your break even is.

• So you need to know what it will cost you run the machine after you buy it.(Interest on original investment, operating cost like wages, repairs, oil, power, phones, rent, office etc.)
  • Now how much do you need to earn to pay for it? What is your product price point? how many units will you sell? What is your competition?
  • You will most likely find that you need to sell 3 times the demand to break even!
  • Also work our how many hours your machine has to run to break even. You may find that the machine has to run 12 hours a day 5 days a week and only after that can you earn a profit.
  • Now ...this is where the smart business people succeed..they find other thinks to make & sell. They find some local guy who want 1000 units of "krack jacks" a week at $2 each. Another guy who needs 2000 pieces a week of "patty cakes" at $1.50 each.....you get the picture.

In a nut shell you need to sell machine time in order to make a profit.

Also make sure you pick the right machine. There are 100s of CNC machines new & used. You need the right one to do the right jobs and have the flexibility you need.....

Good luck.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11253 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Naki: You're absolutely on the money...the very last where you suggest (I think) to let others actually make the widgets??

We tried that with a firm, with over 30 years making very complex medical parts..spent $$$$$ (lots) in engineering and programming...ten CNC machines asnd they absolutely f....d up.

We rejected so many parts, even after giving tolerances of +- .010. that we partesd ways.

I purchased the fixtures and programs. probably right now are using about 20% of those because he just didn't really....really know firearms.

One more piece of advice: Do as I suggest, not as I did.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad my physical and financial condition prevent me from considering endeavors like this, it needs a younger body and someone willing to take more risks than I.

Good fortune to whomever snatches this up!

Posts: 222 | Location: Central Iowa | Registered: 16 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Imp,

You would do all right.

Remember the secret to success in this business: Behind every successful man running a gunshop is a wife with a good job in town.

dave

Posts: 1116 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ssdave:
Imp,

You would do all right.

Remember the secret to success in this business: Behind every successful man running a gunshop is a wife with a good job in town.

dave

..Amen..! Wink

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it was a money making deal, it wouldn't be for sale Roll Eyes

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmyd264:
If it was a money making deal, it wouldn't be for sale Roll Eyes

Possibly or probably true related to this particular offer, but otherwise absolutely not true, there are good money makers for sale everyday for good and valid reasons, such as retirement. I posted (for general information, I had nothing to do with it, nor am I a broker of any kind) on AR some years back about a local farm supply business for sale for about 2 years net income including real estate. It was bought by a local who has made all of his purchase price back and is pocketing low to mid six figures out of it every year and has since bought another one in another town. This is a person who had zero experience in the business (which admittedly is not rocket science) but was willing to work hard and learn.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote