New
Find
Notify
Tools

Soldering bases without rebluing
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Brand new barrel with best most wear resistant matte blue yet seen and bases to be soldered. Is it possible get a good finish ie no surplus solder or heat discolouration without rebluing?

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1894... yes... soft solder. You will have to remove any bueing on the surfaces you are going to solder. To prevent solder from flowing to areas outside, I "paint" ajointing surfaces with yellow ochre.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hola 94 , a friend told me he clean to bright metal the surface to be soldered , and use a permanent marker to avoid the overrun of the acid etch the bluing , ( the soft solder don't adhere to the maker ) , if parts match perfectly you "tin" both surfaces then fit both surfaces hold in place with a jig and carefully heat up and both parts soft soldered without any overrun .
Take care

Daniel

Posts: 332 | Location: Cantabria Spain | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
94 wich one it's " best most wear resistant matte blue yet seen"

Daniel

Posts: 332 | Location: Cantabria Spain | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The impending K95!

I handled the sole UK demonstrator that had been doing the rounds for 3 years to numerous gun shops and shows. The alloy action was a bit mauled from ham fisted barrel and action reassembly and the wood was pretty scarred but the bluing was pretty much pristine.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
What I used when installing a barrel band front site was to tin the inside of the barrel band as best as I could and cleaned off the blueing on the barrel. Then tapped the band into place. I then used a carpenter's pencil to get good coating of graphite all around the barrel to prevent the soldier from messing up the blueing.
I heated the barrel band and tapped it tighter on the barrel and let cool.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote