New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unertl Scope on Springfield '03??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Have a very "minty" '03 and curious just how a Unertl scope would be properly mounted?? Even though rifle is original and excellent shape it is not intended for collector purposes, but to be used for vintage military rifle matches being held locally and would like to come close to duplicating the so called "sniper" rifle. From photos I have seen it would appear that the rear ladder sight was removed and the forward base installed in that area, but not sure. Any suggestions or source of such information appreciated.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael_Greene
posted Hide Post
OUTDOOR LIFE SHOOTING BOOK 1957
By Jack O'Connor

The cover picture is of an '03 Springfield rifle with a Unertl Balvar.

Also see page #8. Unertl 3/4" 8X on a '03 Springfield.

The scopes are mounted on the receiver ring and a "base" forward on the barrel.

The barrels look to be after market or turned down military I can't actually tell.

Michael Greene

Posts: 50 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Originals had the rear base mounted on the front receiver ring; this was the most-common base size offered and is found quite often. The front base was quite a bit taller and to find an original with the proper ID is quite uncommon in ordinary circumstances, however for your purposes most any TALL Unertl base will do for the front.

The proper base spacing is 7.2" C-to-C, and some Unertl mounts have 1/4 MOA clicks while others have 1/2 MOA clicks.

The issue sniper 1903s all had the 1 1/4" Target Unertl 8Xs with the black-anodized rings but I've seen many offered at gun shows with the 1" Target Unertls instead.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you can find a copy of Brophy's book on the Springfield there is a lot of data on the 03 sniper and scopes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. I checked the 7.2" spacing and that lands the forward base ahead of the ladder issue sight. An opening in the upper handguard could be done and permit the mtng. of the forward base on the barrel itself. My Unertl is the 1.5"x16 version and should work out fine. Would most likely have to remove the actual ladder portion of the sight to clear the scope body, but not a problem. Again, thanks for the responses.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sitting here with Brophy's book next to me when I saw this post. The rear base is an 'O' base .233 inches high and the front base is a 'E' base .477 inches high. As stated the rear base is on the front ring and the front base is on the barrel. Looking at the photos in the book it appears the rear sight was intact with the scope mounted. The 'O' base is 1.240" long, .600" wide , .860 hole spacing, .625 radius. The 'E' base is .900" long, .500" wide, .560 hole spacing, .375 radius. Screws were 6x48, .375 and .6 long. As stated center distance was 7.2". The hand guard mod looks fairly crude.
Hope this helps.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello cgbach,
Yes indeed your info helps a great deal and much appreciated. As luck would have it, I have the very blocks you mention. Again thanks for the help. Take care,

martin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cgbach:
Sitting here with Brophy's book next to me when I saw this post. The rear base is an 'O' base .233 inches high and the front base is a 'E' base .477 inches high. As stated the rear base is on the front ring and the front base is on the barrel. Looking at the photos in the book it appears the rear sight was intact with the scope mounted. The 'O' base is 1.240" long, .600" wide , .860 hole spacing, .625 radius. The 'E' base is .900" long, .500" wide, .560 hole spacing, .375 radius. Screws were 6x48, .375 and .6 long. As stated center distance was 7.2". The hand guard mod looks fairly crude.
Hope this helps.
C.G.B.

Hope you don't mind me saving that info. I'm into Unertl scopes and have many different height blocks. The height info you posted is great.
Thank you,

Don