Find
Notify
Tools

Stock Paint
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted
I'm not real happy with the paint job on a synthetic stock I have and was wondering if there were any options for an amateur to try. Are there any products available out of a can that are epoxy based and durable? Any options for a textured (spider web) finish?

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
Antlers,

Check out Sherwin Williams "Polane T" texture paint. It's an automotive paint that GM used to finish the factory Chevy Blazer fiberglas tops back in the 1980's. I used it on Fiberglas stocks years ago and it is an extremely hard and durable finish. Requires a paint gun to apply. Thin it accordingly for the desired effect. The matte black version was called "Carbide black"...

Malm

one of us
posted Hide Post
The best choice of paint that is made for fiberglass and other synthetics, and that would be Marine/Boat paint. Most of the major automotive paint companies make many different gelcoats, simply go to a autobody shop and ask them what would be the best paint to use on a synthetic material.

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most recently I have been experimenting with a professional paint product called zolotone. It is an oil paint suspended in a waterbourne sufactant. It is available in several different colors but I have been using the dark grey which is similar to the spider web design but with a more mottled look. It can be left as is or coated with a clear coat in gloss or satin and then rubbed much like lacquers and varnish. It too requires a spray gun and I recommend a good mask as it is nasty stuff but very durable and hopefully long-lasting. Available from most good auto paint dealers. It was originally designed as a truck bed spray and lays down as thick as you want it to be.

[ 12-16-2002, 11:08: Message edited by: Frank Martinez ]

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
Try Dupli-Color spray in truck bed liner. You can get it at Wal-Mart or Auto Zone for about $8 a can.It looks good its cheap and it touches up easy. Be sure to rough the stock with a scotchbrite pad and maybe wipe with alcohol.
You will want to give it one coat close thin hold the can about a foot away for the second coat.

-

-

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
<JP Terp>
posted
The Polane paint is really great stuff for composite stocks but the set up costs are a little too much for the hobbyist doing only a couple of guns. The two best options are the truck bed liner and the Zolatone. The truck bed liner doesn't give you too much of an option as far as color go (I've only seen the black and white) but it is durable and gives a nice finish. I've started using the Zolatone and really like it's durability. You can purchase it over the web (do a search) and they even sell a little disposable sprayer for it. The color choices are pretty good and variations can be made.
Good Luck, John

<John Lewis>
posted
Although it's too expensive to set up for 1 stock, the Polane T is not that bad. You can get set up completely for under $350.00. However, I don't really recommend it for most people. It contains isocyantes and the can be rather worriesome. You need to be careful with it.

posted Hide Post

Posts: 12 | Location: Salem, OR | Registered: 27 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
A number of years ago I painted the sythetic stock on my Springfield double-lug M1A with gray splatter "trunk" paint for a local auto parts store. I let it cure for about a week and then used it through two high-power seasons without it ever wearing through. It had a nice textured finish that didn't slip in my hands. You might try it.

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
<ty>
posted
I use the sandpaper paint from true value hardware store.It gives a good grip.it comes in black,clear and I think red.If your gun kicks smooth the cheek piece,it will remove skin
it cost about 8.00 pr can but goes a long ways
Forgot to say this is an epoxy paint.

[ 12-17-2002, 04:35: Message edited by: ty ]