New
Find
Notify
Tools

Montana Rifle Co Latest Update
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Here is the latest update from Pinetree. I requested an update from them yesterday and this is what they sent. The original update is from a couple of weeks ago, but has been modified by them to include new updates.

"As of 3:00, Thursday Afternoon, one day before our summer shutdown, we have:
At least twelve of all eight (long & short, left & right, CM and SS) bolts are at heat treated, straightened, magnafluxed, and at final QC. Assuming we don�t find anything wrong with them, they will ship out tomorrow, UPS regular, to the machine shop." They did not find anything wrong with them so they have shipped

The bolts are the product of the first die rework, in which we extended the rotation stop on the bolt handle, and reduced the diameter of the counterbore in the bolt body and enlarged the Mauser collar diameter. We did not yet perform first articles on these. We�ll pull one casting from each to qualify these changes upon our return from shutdown. Layout now underway.

The latest bolt die reworks are complete and will be delivered to us tomorrow. We will wire and plumb the dies for automation in our toolroom during shutdown, and will start a few samples when we return from shutdown. Reworks are done, all dies are wired and plumbed.

12 castings of five different receivers are heat treated, straightened, magnafluxed, and at final QC. The five are:

Short action, right hand, chrome-moly
Short action, right hand, stainless
Short action, left hand, stainless
Long action, right hand chrome-moly
Long action, right hand stainless

We have retained between four and eleven of each of the receivers from which we will perform 1st article layouts and start to tune in our straightening fixtures, upon our return from shutdown. We will wire and plumb the dies for
automation in our toolroom during shutdown. All dies are wired and plumbed, tuning has started, layouts have not yet started.

The long action left hand stainless receiver is cast and at heat treat, but will not make it out before shutdown. The balance of the receivers is not yet cast. All receivers are now cast and should be ready to ship to either machine shop within another week or so.

We will return from shutdown on Monday, August 11th. During shutdown, there will not be anyone in the plant who can help with any issues that could come up. I am not planning anything beyond day trips during my vacation, as our next baby is due just within the next three weeks. If you think I can help you somehow, feel free to call me at home. I can run up to the machine shop if need be, but none of Pine Tree Castings� production facilities (straightening, heat treat, welding, etc.) are available to us during shutdown.

We've input 240 (to yield 200) short right hand stainless receivers and bolts which will be ready to ship by the end of August. Machining capacity
at the machine shop is presently limited to about 200 per week. If samples currently being machined at the other machine shop aren't acceptable, you need to let us know ASAP.
The run of 200 won't be committed to metal until the middle of next week, and we can save you folks a bundle of money if we only have to scrap out
shells rather than metal castings.

We'll continue on inputting 200 per week of bolts and recievers until we get some direction from you that we should run the entire order, from which we
will continue to ship 200+ per week.

I hope I covered it all.

I�ll try to speak with each of you sometime on Friday, once I know all the castings are shipped.

Best regards,

Mark Gurney
Engineering Manager
Pine Tree Castings

The 12 pieces that were talked about above are more for our "QC" function rather than actual product to ship. We have to ensure that the completely machined receivers/bolts are correct before we turn Pinetree loose on full out production.

Dan

[ 08-15-2003, 18:32: Message edited by: Dan@Montana Rifle Co ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you

Posts: 2339 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dan, Is there any idea of the estimated shipping dates for all of the different actions? (If everything goes to plan, now)

[ 08-15-2003, 19:41: Message edited by: Fjold ]

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
Thanks Dan, Is there any idea of the estimated shipping dates for all of the different actions? (If everything goes to plan, now)

Hopefully (Got my fingers crossed here [Razz] ) the actions that are coming (the twelve of each) are 100% accurate & perfect. If this is the case, we will turn Pinetree loose on production. As they said they can do about 200 per week, the machine shop says they can do about 200 per week (I'm a little skeptical about this) so there are two weeks there, then they go in for heat treating which usually only takes a couple of days, then they go to polishing in Minnesota. All in all, if they can do 200 per week I would say that once we turn Pinetree loose we are looking at about 3-3 1/2 weeks before we see the first 200. If we turned them loose on Monday we would be looking at about the first or second week of September. Now this is only a "rough" estimate, lots depends upon these first actions coming. Please realize that we are doing everything we can to get these out to everyone as quickly as possible, but are not going to release them until they are absolutely perfect.

one of us
posted Hide Post
So, Dan...
Shipping 200 per week once full-on production starts, after polishing and being sent back to you? How many actions are there on order (rough estimate)? I count about 125 longs in both RH and LH. I didn't count the shorts; there looks to be quite a number of them. Assuming 1000, we should all have our actions by 5-6 weeks after start-up. What do you have up your sleeve after everything's been shipped? [Confused]

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
heh, heh... nice try rootbeer.

Nice report, Dan. Let's hope the second machining center comes on-line smoothly. Center #1 is adding capacity, but I'll bet they need some tune-up time (measured in months) before they ever hit 200/wk. And 200 a week, while good progress, isn't going to cut the mustard.

[ 08-16-2003, 12:11: Message edited by: Rod@Acrabond ]

Posts: 108 | Location: Star Meadow, Montana | Registered: 30 April 2003Reply With Quote
<Rusty>
posted
Great news, Dan! thanks for the info. I don't suppose you could throw in a few PH series? Seriously, is the June '04 date still the target for the PH series?

Rusty
We band of brothers!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rod@...
What exactly do you mean by 200/week not cutting the mustard? I sincerely desire that MRC find itself in the enviable position of being unable to supply the demand for its actions once the first ones hit the streets and the shooting public can actually see and manipulate one. I've even thought about taking mine over to my local dealer and having him put it in his display case for several weeks for people to see it and decide for themselves if they'd like to order one as opposed to just reading ads in SGN or some of the more controversial posts here (although I know of no other posters in this area who might frequent my local dealer's shop). I want MRC to succeed handsomely in this venture, but it seems they are not selling as many Longs as Shorts. The PH guys are probably sweating because the orders for those seem to be far below the minimum required to get the molds going and they could find themselves the unhappy recipients of refund checks. I don't understand why someone wouldn't want the opportunity to acquire an action at a price 1/3 to 1/10 of what some of them are out there. I had no choice but to go MRC; I'm a lefty and USRAC won't sell a lefty long action or lefty barrelled action. I'm not sure they'll sell any lefty action, long, short, barrelled or whatever. The righties get all the options and all the attention. No matter; it looks like MRC has it going and we'll all get our stuff pretty soon. [Smile]

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rod:
Is that previous post a hint as to what is going on at MRC?

Posts: 167 | Location: Eastern Shore of MD | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rusty-

Keep cheering for those PH's and I will do the same.

I guess good things come to those who wait. Let's hope so because I certainly want to get my hands on one of those PH's.

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
<Clint>
posted
Dan,
Great to have the "blow by blow" report; however, it's a little over my head. Can you give us "estimated ship dates" of the actions to US? I'm looking for two LH Long Actions in SS, One Mag, One standard bolt face.

Safe Hunting?

Clint

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
[Smile] Dan, Thanks for the news. Like Clint above, I've got all my "parts" for my new rifle except for the action. I'm Not rushing you, just would like to give my 'smith an approximate time when he should book my work in.

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My post was meant to allay fears that MRC will not be able to sell its capacity. I know those guys are working devilishly hard to get all vendors up to speed and volume without sacrificing quality.

Posts: 108 | Location: Star Meadow, Montana | Registered: 30 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rod,
I didn't mean for my post to sound like I was questioning MRC. I have full faith in the product and the people behind it. I was just suggesting maybe there was a deal with another company to do something special with the actions. Such as a semi-custom type of rifle. Looks like the "Ghost" could be it.

Posts: 167 | Location: Eastern Shore of MD | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GHOST is a drop in the bucket. Background noise. So is Serengeti Rifles. And the Montanan program. I have about 120 actions (delivered and on order) to support these plans, but they won't support MRC over the long haul. The good news is yet to come.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Okay Rod,
I know you're not going to tell us, but by reading between the lines and doing a good bit of speculating a fellow might jump to the conclusion that USRAC might purchase the rights to the M1999 design and use it to superceed their M70 design...
Jerry

Posts: 575 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 12 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rod-

Well, you whizzed the fast ball over the plate with your mention of Serengeti Rifles. I did a quick search over the net and saw your beginning of the web page for same.

Rod would you be so kind as to start with telling us your concept with the Serengeti project and potentially any thing else you could share with us?

Enquiring minds want to know, lol.

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Listen, guys. I can't say more on MRC. Patience. It will be worth it.

Serengeti is another story and deserves its own thread. So I'll start a conceptual discussion on that elsewhere.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rod what about the Mini?

Posts: 131 | Location: Tacoma Wa. | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Dan
What is the latest on left hand long actions?
Thanks

Posts: 42 | Location: Wild and Wonderful New Mexico | Registered: 12 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK, so Rod and Dan are keeping their lips zipped. Let's all of us get into the act and start speculating as to what the big news is. My guess is that MRC has been sold to a big manufacturer and soon actions bearing the MRC logo as manufactured by the new owners will be more plentiful than lies from the Clinton White House. Anybody else care to top that one?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Why don't we just let it be. Nothing like adding to internet B.S.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Elkslayer
posted Hide Post
I'll second Chuck's motion.

Posts: 452 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 15 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yous guys are no fun. [Razz]

one of us
posted Hide Post
OK, what about this...
MRC has secured a large business loan and will triple plant, equipment and personnel?

<Sniper>
posted
How about Sturm Ruger and Co has secured rights and ownership of MRC and will now use this action for their rifles?

one of us
posted Hide Post
The air is thick with rumours... [Big Grin]
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I ate beans and broccoli last night-- it's thick with more than just rumors! [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rootbeer:
So, Dan...
Shipping 200 per week once full-on production starts, after polishing and being sent back to you? How many actions are there on order (rough estimate)? I count about 125 longs in both RH and LH. I didn't count the shorts; there looks to be quite a number of them. Assuming 1000, we should all have our actions by 5-6 weeks after start-up. What do you have up your sleeve after everything's been shipped? [Confused]

I believe in just the short action we have about 1800 actions on order

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rod@Acrabond:
heh, heh... nice try rootbeer.

Nice report, Dan. Let's hope the second machining center comes on-line smoothly. Center #1 is adding capacity, but I'll bet they need some tune-up time (measured in months) before they ever hit 200/wk. And 200 a week, while good progress, isn't going to cut the mustard.

Rod,
I agree 100%. When Pinetree said 200 per week, I thought that was a very generous number. I don't expect that even with both machining centers that they will hit that number. I hope that they hit these numbers, but have my doubts.

Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Great news, Dan! thanks for the info. I don't suppose you could throw in a few PH series? Seriously, is the June '04 date still the target for the PH series?

Rusty
We band of brothers!

Rusty,
I would hope for June, but the way the orders for the PH are going I don't think that June is looking too good at this time.

Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rootbeer:
OK, so Rod and Dan are keeping their lips zipped. Let's all of us get into the act and start speculating as to what the big news is. My guess is that MRC has been sold to a big manufacturer and soon actions bearing the MRC logo as manufactured by the new owners will be more plentiful than lies from the Clinton White House. Anybody else care to top that one?

Rootbeer,
Nope, the big manufacturers can't afford us [Big Grin] . What Rod was trying to say, and correct me if I am wrong Rod, is that his experience with the company with machine shop #1 is that they are not geared up for huge production. Now my initial update from Mark at Pinetree said that machine shop #1 said they could do 200 per week. We haven't seen this kind of quantity from them yet, but it could be (and I'm not privy to the info) that they are tooling up to go into major production for us. I hope they hit the 200 per week, but like I said earlier I have my doubts. If they can hit 3/4 of that I would be thrilled!

Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Their are a lot of RUMORS floating around out there, but I can say with confidence that none of them are true. We aren't selling out to Winchester, Ruger or any other big name. Like I said they can't afford us. We are working on a lot of different avenues and deals but nothing is set in stone right now and none of them are selling the company. I'm sure if a big deal comes through there will be some kind of press release from us and whomever the deal is with stating a partnership of sorts. Breathe easily guys, the Montana Rifleman and Montana Rifle Company are here for the long run. Also be assured that if we do strike a major deal with another company, your orders still take priority with me.

Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan...you got e-mail. [Wink]

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Rusty>
posted
Dan,

thanks for the reply. Although it isn't the good news I wanted, I am most grateful for your honestly and candor.

Rusty
We band of brothers!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just started the "rumor" thread to shake the trees, as it were. I want my rifle to be MRC. I find when another company takes over an originating company's product line, the knock-off stuff is never as good because Company #2 doesn't have the blood, sweat and tears in the product as did Company #1.

one of us
Picture of Elkslayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dan@Montana Rifle Co:
Hopefully (Got my fingers crossed here [Razz] ) the actions that are coming (the twelve of each) are 100% accurate & perfect. If this is the case, we will turn Pinetree loose on production. As they said they can do about 200 per week, the machine shop says they can do about 200 per week (I'm a little skeptical about this) so there are two weeks there, then they go in for heat treating which usually only takes a couple of days, then they go to polishing in Minnesota. All in all, if they can do 200 per week I would say that once we turn Pinetree loose we are looking at about 3-3 1/2 weeks before we see the first 200. If we turned them loose on Monday we would be looking at about the first or second week of September. Now this is only a "rough" estimate, lots depends upon these first actions coming. Please realize that we are doing everything we can to get these out to everyone as quickly as possible, but are not going to release them until they are absolutely perfect.

How did the first dozen look? Did you give Pinetree the go-ahead?

Posts: 452 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 15 November 2002Reply With Quote