Find
Notify
Tools

New .416 Taylor Project
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TXPO
posted
I just sealed a deal on a Ruger M77 in .338 Win Mag, (Tang Safety) with the intention of turning it into a 22" barreled .416 Taylor. I had a Taylor not too long ago but a good friend of mine caught me in a very weak moment and....well, he has it now. The moment it left my hands I was sure I would have another somehow.

Anyhow, I basically want stick a 22" tube on it, probably PacNor because the last Taylor wore one and it shoots EXTREMELY WELL. The only other thing I would like to change is the stock and I was thinking of a nice looking Acrabond laminate.

What contour barrel would look and handle well? I really don't like thick, chunky looking barrels but I also don't want a really thin one that has no weight to it.

Also, are there any problems I should expect in this project? I figured it would be a basic barrel swap and a little bit of stock work.....anything else I need to keep in mind? I will have someone else do the work because I don't have the tools, equipment or 'real' know-how to tackle this myself.

Any other thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Posts: 700 | Location: Wallis, Texas | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a fun jroject. Give some thought to necking up the .375 Dakota before you start.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Wes,
Best of luck on it!!

I would do the pac, myself, because i always have good luck with them

jeffe

Posts: 39621 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote