New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to do to a Zastava Mauser
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
As many know, our moderator, George S has been trying to work up a deal for us southpaws to get ahold of some LH Mauser rifles. Specifically, the Zastava Mausers. For those of you who know, what should be done to those rifles assuming we can get the deal done? I've read some places where folks describe them as rougher than a cob. I'm looking at getting a 7 x 57 as the basis for a future walnut stock build using a nice Walther Mauser type repro barrel.

Thanks,

Jeff

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I've had MKX, Dalys 798s that have been both smooth and rough. For the most part just some inside smoothing thanks care of it. Never had a factory barreled action that wouldn't shoot sub-moa. All would feed fine from the factory

I've found the factory trigger adjustable and can easily be smoothed for a hunting rifle. Plenty of options to replace the trigger and go to a 2 or 3 position safety. For their price they are hard to beat.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted Hide Post
I have several Zastavas. They are definitely not as smooth out of the factory as my Remingtons or Sakos, but not much rougher than the Ruger bolt actions I have handled. They will wear in after a few hundred rounds, but you will definitely to a better outcome more quickly from some smoothing of the bolt, raceways and trigger.

Posts: 426 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I just had two of the Zastava 98's s imported by USSG come through the shop. Both were .004" off from one side of the boltface to the other. .004" in only a .473" distance is a lot.

The second, a .308, was also short chambered by .006". Truing the boltface resolved most of that. Some judicious polishing of the action resulted in smooth functioning.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
when you true the boltface, Mike do you need a new barrel at that time?

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Not if the chamber is short.

As long as any metal removal does not result in excess headspace then you won't NEED to adjust headspace.

The first one was a non-issue since it was in for a rebarrel anyway. The second also a non-issue since the metal removal resulted in allowing the bolt to actually close on a go gage.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Mike. I'll be very interested to see what happens if we can get this project to fruition. I like the 7mm Mauser but the 318 WR or even the 333 Jeffery really intrigues me.