New
Find
Notify
Tools

.308 Win to .284 Win
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone have any experience with this rebarreling?

I have a Win M70 Featherweight in .308 Win that I'd like to rebarrel to .284 Win. Any pitfalls (reliabilty, feeding, etc)?

I suppose 7mm-08 would be easier, but I'd like to try the .284 if possible.

Posts: 380 | Location: America the Beautiful | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive done it on a Rem 600. The only two real issues were lengthening the magazine and getting the rifle to feed properly. On the Win the length shouldn't be an issue, but feeding still will be. If you can find a 'smith who has done one and noted the changes required, that would be the way to go. If you are doing it yourself, proceed slowly and cautiously on those feeding edges. Remember, you can't easily put metal back. On the plus side, once done it became one of my favourite mountain rifles. A great caliber, highly under rated - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
KuduKing -
I've done exactly what you are contemplating (308 to 284 M-70 Fwt). Two things to watch out for (actually two in one):
1. Be sure the 'smith you're using knows what he's doing. Mine ended up being throated for 3.20" o'all length, but, the magazine would only allow 2.850" max o'all. Be sure you either make the necessary mods to magazine, follower and bolt stop to allow the longer o'all length, or be sure it's throated for 2.850" or whatever yours can handle.
2. You'll probably have feeding problems, due to the fatter, more straight sided 284 case. Be sure the 'smith you use is better than mine and works the feed stuff out or you'll have a bolt action single shot.

Choose a good 'smith, I guess is what I'm trying to say.

The 7-08 would probably give you much less chance for problems, but, the 284 certainly does offer a significant performance advantage.

R-WEST

------------------
"it is up to God to judge these terrorists; it is up to us to arrange their meeting" Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I once had a .284 Browning A-Bolt which feed perfectly and shot very well. But now I can see where the rumors of poor feeding started with the .284: rebarreling from .308 actions.

A simple rebarreling is turning into a "project". I can see where finding a gunsmith with .284 experience might be difficult and expensive, and then I've altered a perfectly fine .308 receiver for good.

Perhaps I'll stick with the 7mm-08. Thanks guys.

Posts: 380 | Location: America the Beautiful | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You don't say whether your Model 70 is a controlled feed or a push-feed.It might make a big difference.I know of at least one 284 built on a stainless controlled feed short action Model 70 and if it didn't feed I'm sure the guy wouldn't have it.You out there Bill?

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
dont do it. from experience, dont do it.
the 284 case is built for a standard action, not a short one. it will fit in a short action but if you are going to shoot anything bigger than a 120 gn bullet then you will need a standard action. if you are planning on a 140-160 grn then forget it. you will have to seat the bullets very deep in the case. so deep that any advantage you had with the fatter case goes out the window. you are much better of rebarreling for the 7mm-08 and try some horn. light magnum loads.
if you just wnat a fast 7mm but dont want a magnum then you could sell your 308 and buy a 280 and have it opened up for the 280AI. brass is plenty and cheap. and NO feeding woes!!!!
if you have to have the 284 then buy a good shooting 280 and have your smith back the barrel up, square it and rechamber for your 284. that is the cheapest and best way to get the most out of the 284....
my 2 cents
woofer

Posts: 741 | Location: vermont. thanks for coming, now go home! | Registered: 05 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree.

The whole reason for this exercise is that I have way too many 165 grain Sierra SBT bullets that I would like to shoot. I think that weight is a bit much for the 7mm-08 case, as every reloading reference I have checked hardly reaches 2600 fps with a 160 grain bullet. I was hoping for 2700-2800 fps, hence the .284 Win.

Anyone with 7mm-08 experience and heavy bullets?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Woofer,
All m-70 Win. are the same lenth, all are magnum lenth, (except one that recently hit the market and we won't count it), the new M-70 are bit longer than the pre-64 but that changes nothing.

the only difference is the magazine has blocks in it an the bolt stop is different in each lenth...All you have to do is replace the block and bolt stop and that a cheap project.

the conversion to 284 from a 308 is really very easy, but only if the smith knows what he is doing..the 284 adds to the difficulty somewhat, but it can and has been done many times...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<bigwagon>
posted
I agree that the long action post 64 M70 is virtually the same length as the pre 64, but Winchester introduced the short action push feed M70 in 1985. Even the new CRF actions have been around for about 10 years.

Matt King