New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's the best way to remove rust from SS
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
i just got another Automag 44AMP that was in a flood. it's grip frame is rusted. bad in places. i let it soak in blaster for 2days and then navel jelly for 2days then i went over it with 0000 SS steelwool but it is still badly discolared in places. any ideas? other than the rust it's brand new never fired.

Posts: 169 | Location: Never where you think | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would say to have it bead blasted, I have had a couple guns done and they turn out great. How does the bore look if it was flooded? I would think the bore would be as rusty and the outside of the gun.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
I might try C-L-R.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
only the gripframe is rusted, rest of the gun looks brand new, i borescoped it before i bought it.
i think the grip rusted from having been handeled and having body salts and oils on it. the springs had lite coat of rust and the screw that holds in the mag release was rusted over but nowhere else.
gun was under water for 2days and in a wet case for 3 mounths.
i have replacement springs for it and have a replacement screew for the mag catch.
if no one has a good way to get the black off where the rust formed i may bead blast it, may also coat it with gun-kote or something along those lines.

Posts: 169 | Location: Never where you think | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote