Find
Notify
Tools

model 88 and trigger setting
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted
I recently bought a winchester model 88. I took it out to the range yesterday and soon realized it is badly in need of a trigger job. Is it possible to have the trigger on these set to about 3 #'s or would it have to be replaced to get that light, it feels about like 9 pounds now. the gun is a pre 64

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
tt

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A good gunsmith with experience with the Model 88 can give it a tune-up. Don't expect it to be the equal of a good bolt gun, but it can be improved. I took mine to a gunsmith in this area who specializes in 88's , and he improved it quite a bit. Ask around at your local gunshops.

I don't know of any aftermarket trigger for the 88. Maybe someone else in this forum does. Good luck - the 88 is a great gun.

Posts: 113 | Location: B.C., Canada | Registered: 18 March 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The only way I have been able to do any kind of a trigger job on these guns is to make a fixture using the same dimensions as the housing that holds the trigger & hammer & install new pivot pins. But make it one sided so you can place the hammer, springs & trigger on your new pins in the fixture.

Now you can see what & where the fitting needs to be done. Like said earlier, don't expect the outcome to be a match grade. I would not want to go less than about 5# as this whole trigger housing moves each time you lever the gun, & too light may cause an AD.

Posts: 26 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote