THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Commercial Oberndorf Std 98 Large-ring small-Thread?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Commercial Oberndorf Std 98 Large-ring small-Thread?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Why did mauser make some of their commercial sporting rifles with actions that were Std 98 except small-thread? Is their any logical reason to choose such an action for a classic pre-war British or German style custom rifle over a std large thread 98? Thinner barrel profile maybe? Did Rigby ever use this action for anything? I know they used the large-ring small-thread intermediate for many of their 275/7mm rifles. Thanks
Matt

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The small threaded Mauser actions are to be seen as a historical development.

The small thread ( 98 standard ) started with the transitional(smallring) action and the most standard length large ring actions were produced and used before WW 1 .
The intermediate length ( large ring ) started and ended in the production line up to WW2 only with the small thread.
Oberndorf commercial rifles of post WW1 production with standard large ring/small thread are to be seen here and there , because they had the older actions still in stock and used them.
Rigby´s standard length large ring most often used the actions with small thread.
The action of the .303 was also small threaded.
The Magnum action with the stepped receiver ring for the .350 also had the small thread.

Any advantage of the small thread ? Not at all.
Simply a question of the production line.

The only advantage of a small thread is if it is used in a smallring action of any Mauser type.

Posts: 230 | Location: Germany | Registered: 02 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
And then when the Turks started making their 98s in the 1930s and 40s, they used the small barrel shank. With modern chrome moly barrels, there is no advantage either way.
Large ring German Mausers from the Gew 98 through the 98k used large threads. G33-40s used small ring, small threads.

Posts: 17274 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did mauser ever make any standard length small-ring small-thread actions for commercial use? Were all of the small ring transitional actions intermediate length actions?

Matt
FISH!!

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Are Kar98's small thread.

Posts: 6481 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richj:
Are Kar98's small thread.

No. They are large thread.

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ColoradoMatt:
Did mauser ever make any standard length small-ring small-thread actions for commercial use? Were all of the small ring transitional actions intermediate length actions?

Refering to John Speeds Archive intermediate and standard length transitional actions could be found.
But not known what thread diameters were used.

Posts: 230 | Location: Germany | Registered: 02 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ColoradoMatt:

Matt, I have a Car98, it is a small ring receiver with a large shank barrel, it is one of the few Mausers that will fire by pushing the trigger forward.

F. Guffey

Posts: 453 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 16 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 453 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 16 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If one model was called 'STANDARD', what was the other model called?

F. Guffey

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are several other models, i.e. Kurtz, intermediate, magnum...

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The "STANDARD MODELL" was a military designation used in 1933 to make customers aware that the rifle was the standard military model, in order to compete with Czech, FN, and Polish rifles who had taken over the foreign market while Germany was not allowed to make military rifles. I don't think that designation was used on commercial rifles. Commercial rifles were designated by Types; A, B, K, S, and M. Mauser used the term "Original" to make sure you were getting the real thing and not some knock off made from surplus military actions. To get the whole story you need Jon Speed's book; there is a lot to Mauser Commercial rifle history.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To clarify- Yes, there was a "standard modell" commercial k98 configured rifle, but that is not really what we are discussing. When referring to the standard 98 action, I generally mean the action and barrel thread size found on both the following military rifles and on some commercial sporters:

Chilean M1912, Steyr
GEW 98, various mfr's
Brazilian M1908/34, Brno
VZ24, 98/22, 98/29, Brno
M1908 Brazilian, DWM
M1909 Argentine, DWM
M24/30 Venezuelan, FN
M1935 Peruvian, FN
Standard Modell, Mauser Oberndorf
K98k, various mfr's

Action OAL: 8.75"
Recvr screws, center to center: 7.835"
Bolt body length: 6.370"
Magazine length: 3.315"
Recvr ring dia: 1.410" large ring
Barrel shank dia: 1.100" large shank

While there is much variation in mauser action size and configuration, I understand the above described action to be almost universally known as the "standard size 98". So, the action that I was originally referring to would be the same as above, but with the small barrel thread size (Barrel shank dia: .980 small shank). Thanks
Matt

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, those are considered the "standard" length for 98 Mauser action, but as far as I know, none of these were designated as "Standard Modell" by the factory. If they did, I would like to know as I follow Mausers pretty closely.
If you are just calling them, the standard model, ok, they are defiintely the standard model of 98 action.
There are tons more that could be added to your list made buy other factories. One example of a large ring, small thread is the 1909 Peruvian.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes. Large ring small thread intermediate with the slightly longer front ring.

Matt
FISH!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
So what every body is saying make sure what one you have before you thread the barrel for the action.

Posts: 19580 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My search engine let me down, I was going through the alphabet when I found I kept getting hung up on 'A', then part of it came back to me. I have an article written by P,O. Ackely. In the article he said there was the Standard model and there was the Original mode. He then went on to describe the difference in shank and receiver lengths.

F. Guffey

One of Us
Picture of igorrock
posted Hide Post
IMO the "standard" means action lenght, the others are "magnum", "intermediate" and "short". The "original" -term comes much more later to tell that action has been made in Mauser factory, not in DWM or STEYR etc.

Posts: 410 | Location: Finland | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am sure you are correct, P.O. Ackley made the reference to Original as being before the 98 meaning the original was a small ring Mauser.

F. Guffey

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The term "standard modell" refers to a specific rifle. Now, if we want to use it as a common meaning for the common length of 98 Mauser, fine, but it confuses me as I have "Standard Modells" in my collection and they are marked as such. But I know what you mean.
"Mauser Original" is a marketing term to mean as you said. They even marked Peruvians with that term and those have a long receiver ring and small threads. See how confusing it is when you don't use factory terms?
If PO meant an original Mauser was pre-98, then it was not a 98. It started with the 1871 Mauser.