Find
Notify
Tools

ATTN: Mr. Worthing, Good Stock Blank Sources
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Mr. Worthing,

A while back I believe that you responded to someone's inquiry about good sources for stock blanks, and provided at least two recommendations. As I recall one of them was Dressel's. But I can't for the life of me remember what the other one(s) was/were (and I can't find the previous post either). I believe you provided them in the form of websites. Would you mind reposting your recommendations? It would be much appreciated by myself and probably others.

Thanks,
Bob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bob,

Other than Dressels, I probably mentioned Jim Preslik but they do not have a web site. Steve Heilman, who is probably the best metalsmith in the universe, sells wood and his site is here. Mustafa Bilal, who is best known as a photographer specializing in photos of firearms, sells turkish walnut and his site is here. Dressel's have the most extensive supply of wood from fancy to exhibition. It is dry and ready to use right out the door. Preslik's wood often needs a bit more time but it is close. I would expect that Steve and Mustafa's wood would be ready to use also. Preslik has some good bargains in wood if you catch them at the right time. The best time is coming up on January 23rd, 24th and 25th at the ACGG exhibition in the Silver Legacy Ball room in Reno. All four of these folks will be there with a LOT of wood. It is a wood junkies wonderland.

BTW, it is not "Mr." it is Chic.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Chic!

I got Alvin Linden's "Stockmaking" for Christmas and I think, with a little patience, I can do this! It seems that the descriptions in this book to are complete and step-by-step. In your opinion are some of Linden's theories on stock building a bit obsolete? I've never built a stock before, but I had never heard of the way he does some portions of the stock. I apologize for the vagueness, but I don't have the book in front of me. I do recall his statement that the barrel channel should be tight to the barrel on the sides and hollow underneath. I believe that he states that the sides should be tight enough that some force is required to install the barreled action into the stock. The other point that he makes that surprised me somewhat was that the top-line of the stock should have about a 1/32" (or was it 1/64"?) bow, with the low point at the recoil lug, so that the inletting takes the same shape and 3-point bedding is ensured when the gaurd screws are tightened. Perhaps these questions deserve their own thread. I will likely post questions about more of his theories before I start my own whittling.

I plan to send a pre-64 M70 action out this year and when it returns I intend to make the stock for it myself. I hope to get to the Reno show someday myself.

Thanks,
Bob

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bobvthunter,

Get the Dave Wesbrook book "Professional Stockmaking" and you'll see some very stark differences in Linden's style and Wesbrook's. The Wesbrook is very much updated and easier to follow as to methodology, tools, and directions.
I have the Linden book and while I enjoyed reading it, it was very hard to follow as much of his method is outdated. I mean, who the heck uses an axe to remove wood on a gunstock?
Both are great references for a stockmakers' library IMHO. I found the Wesbrook book best price at abebooks.com. - Sheister

Posts: 385 | Location: Hillsboro, Oregon | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote