Notify
Tools

Mounting a reflex sight on a 1911
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted
Howdy folks,

I just can't see anymore and need to put something on my carry pistol in case I actually need it.

I have been shooting a Trijicon RMR 06 on my double rifle and love it.

How is the best way to put a similar sight on a Gvt model 1911?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
Howdy folks,

I just can't see anymore and need to put something on my carry pistol in case I actually need it.

There are two ways. The first one is to have your slide milled for the adapter plate/plates. This is the best in my opinion as it puts the sight the lowest. The other is there are adapter plates that slide into the rear sight dovetail I have such the arrangement on two Glocks and it works really well. I also have a reflex sight on the picatinny rail on my HK UMP. I have both the green and red dots.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vzerone:
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
Howdy folks,

There are two ways. The first one is to have your slide milled for the adapter plate/plates. This is the best in my opinion as it puts the sight the lowest. The other is there are adapter plates that slide into the rear sight dovetail I have such the arrangement on two Glocks and it works really well. I also have a reflex sight on the picatinny rail on my HK UMP. I have both the green and red dots.

I have 2 or 3 brand new 1911's in my safe. Can you refer me to a company or gunsmith that commonly does this slide modification?

I would send one to get milled to fit the small Trijicon RMR.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Clark custom guns

Posts: 1280 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any good full fledged gunsmith should be able to do this. There are quite a few good gunsmiths right here on Accurate.

Come on you gunsmiths here, who can do this for him??

One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
Lane,

I faced a similar situation and have mounted a reflex sight on my Evans 470, works great.

I looked at mounting one on my carry pistols but decided they are too bulky so I decided to go with a Crimson Trace laser sight that molds around the trigger guard. I love it.

The options for a 1911 would be a grip mounted one.

Not trying to steer you off the reflex sight just another option.

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470Evans:
Lane,

I faced a similar situation and have mounted a reflex sight on my Evans 470, works great.

I looked at mounting one on my carry pistols but decided they are too bulky so I decided to go with a Crimson Trace laser sight that molds around the trigger guard. I love it.

The options for a 1911 would be a grip mounted one.

Not trying to steer you off the reflex sight just another option.

I thought about that too , but being I have bad eyesight I can see the dot in the reflex sight much easier then the laser dot on a target. The reflex sight is sort of like a scope without magnification. The dot on it doesn't cover as much minute of angle on the target especially way out there as a laser does. The reason I got the green dot on some of my reflex sights is because I see green far better then red. This is all my opinion. Some of the negatives of the reflex sight is it's bulk, finding a holster that will fit, and I don't think it's as quick as a laser to get target acquisition. Both take batteries so that's not a plus or negative. For personal protect, especially inside a building that may be dark or dim lit I'd go with the laser.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cataract surgery. works great.
$10K

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eezridr:
Cataract surgery. works great.
$10K

Hi Clint! Hope you are well.

...except I don’t have cataracts. Wink

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I used a JT Defence mount on my Glock 20. They are low profile. https://www.jtdefense.com/

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slider:
I used a JT Defence mount on my Glock 20. They are low profile. https://www.jtdefense.com/

I used another brand that kind of mounts like that (with that separate dovetail piece), but mine is contoured to the radius edges of the Glock slide and is just as low as yours. I don't like how yours utilizes the back of the slide cover. I have them on a 10mm, 45acp, and 9mm Glock with no problems and no loosening.