Find
Notify
Tools

Custom rifle books?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted
Who has written books on custom rifles? And which ones are the good ones?

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
Probably the top three pictoral studies...

Contemporary American Stockmakers - Ron Toews (1979)
Modern Custom Guns - Tom Turpin (1997)
Custom Rifles in black & white - Steven Dodd Hughes (1999)

The first might be a bit difficult to find. The other two are readily available from the authors.....and elsewhere.

GV

Posts: 768 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
If anyone needs a copy of Contemporary American Stockmakers I think I have access to a few. Drop me a PM.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
The old Gun Digest publication on custom guns is good too if you can find it. Michael Petrov's new book is superb, especially if you like Springfields ("Custom Gunmakers of the 20th Century"). There's an old Trend publication by Jeff Cooper ("Custom Rifles") that is pretty good. Ludwig Olson's and Jon Speed's books on Mausers and Frank de Haas' "Bolt Action Rifles" are also very useful. And Mr. Hughes sold me a book by Dick Simmons ("Custom Built Rifles") which is also very good to have. And if you just like looking at page after color page of some of the finest sporting guns ever made I highly recommend R.L. Wilson's "Steel Canvas".

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shameless Plug,

I have been out of books for a while but a batch from the second printing have arrived. The first printing had a few mistakes and missing pictures, now corrected.
Many places now carry the book, just “Google†it.
For those wanting a signed copy $30 will get you one by priority mail.
mjpetrov@acsalaska.net

PS: If you have a first printing copy and don’t have my addendum email me for one by return email.

Posts: 808 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with all listed above.
One relatively new one that is not listed is, Mastery of Wood & Metal - David Miller Co. by Tom Turpin. To me this is a very nice book.

Mr. Hughes
If I remember correctly you were in the process of putting together a new book of custom rifles in color. What is the status of this book or am I dreaming again. Thanks

James

Posts: 658 | Location: W.Va | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SDH:
Another shameless plug:
CUSTOM RIFLES IN BLACK & WHITE by Steven Dodd Hughes
New, out of print, soft cover, 185 pages. Over 200 photos of 40 of the finest American custom rifles from 1990-2000. 20 bolt action (Fisher, Tucker, Heilmann, Hensley, Burgess/Echols, Simillion); 16 single shots (SDH, Webber, Snapp, etc.) and four lever action rifles. Many detailed views with interesting stories.
$45 ppd
FINE GUNMAKING: DOUBLE SHOTGUNS by Steven Dodd Hughes
New, out of print, hardback, 170 pages. An in-depth look at the creation of custom shotguns, lots of color and B&W photos. Special section on building custom Fox shotguns. Foreword by John Barsness.
$45 ppd.
Both for $80 ppd. No credit cards, just send cash or check. Be sure to spell your name clearly and I’ll sign and inscribe. Sent Priority mail within a day or two. Thanks,
S.D. Hughes
P.O. Box 545
Livingston, MT 59047

Michael's book is excellent and will open up a whole new world about how today's custom rifle styling came to be.
Thanks,
Steve

I would like to order both books. Postage would be to PO Box 544, Myrtleford, Victoria 3737, AUSTRALIA. How do we pay you? How much extra for postage to Australia? We regularly send English Walnut gunstock blanks to the USA.

I would like to see some photographs of your bolt action rifles. I have my own projects going all the time.

Kindest Regards,
Roger Vardy

8 Grange Road,Porepunkah, Victoria 3740, AUSTRALIA
PO BOX 544, Myrtleford, Victoria, AUSTRALIA
TEL: +61 3 57 562 411
FAX: +61 3 57 562 179
EMAIL: ravardy@bigpond.com
www.rogervardystockwood.com

Posts: 67 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
James, Double Guns and Custom Gunsmithing will be out this fall from Countrysport Press. It is currently in production. As per the title, it's about double shotguns.
I have most of the material compiled for another custom rifle book, with lots of good color photos and hope to start putting it together later this year or early next year. It literally takes years to put a book together before the publishing process even begins. Currently there is a much better market for double shotgun books. Right now very few gun books are being published, if this latest is the success I hope it will be, it will be that much easier to get a custom rifle book in print.
Roger, I have never shipped to Australia, haven't a clue. I'll check it out next time I'm at the post office and let you know. Ditto on the funds.
How do you do it?
BTW, I don't work on bolt action rifles.

There are plenty of great ones in the book, anybody got a favorite custom bolt rifle from this book? Tell Roger about it, eh?
Thanks,
Steve

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1789 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote