Find
Notify
Tools

Restock a Weatherby Vanguard
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
I keep looking at the Vanguards and my main hangup is the weight, with that damned heavy black plastic stock. Anyone put a lighter synthetic on a Vanguard to get the weight closer to 7 pounds or less? What did you use and how do you like it?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16630 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Took my stock off my vangaurd and found it to be full of "lightning" holes in the for-end and not heavy at all.

The vangaurd barrel contour holds a-lot of it's weight. I't defenitly not the allum trigger gaurd and floor plate hsg.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Howa/Vanguard is not a light weight barreled action by any means. It's heavy but it's strong as hell. I haven't wieghed the stock on my SubMOA, but I know it's not a heavy weight.

The barrel is said to be a #2, but by Krieger standards, it's about a #3. You pick up a few ounces there.

If I was going to try to lighten it up, I'd probably go with a McMillan Classic or Supergrade patter with the Edge material. If you went with their ultralight Edge I don't think it'd balance well at all and may look a little ungainly in that compact stock.

David

Posts: 539 | Location: NE Alabama | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Sounds like lightening a Vanguard means turning the barrel. Will check McMillan, however.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16630 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
My 300 WBY Howa/Vanguard weighs 9.5 pounds with B&C stock and Nikon Buckmaster 4.5x14x40 scope.

Can the Howaby lose that much weight?

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Wow, that's a heavy rifle, but no doubt makes the .300 more comfortable to shoot.

– John Green, author