New
Find
Notify
Tools

Military Enfield action
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does the P-14 action have an internal barrel shoulder? I am looking at a customized P-14 and it looks like it has a shoulder but it is uneven so there is a gap at the lower region of the extractor recess. The barrel does not seem to have any contact with the "shoulder" in this particular area. It also looks like it has a Winchester style barrel breech. I am relatively new to all these actions so any insight will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Posts: 1002 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
The P-14 & 17 actions don't have an internal shoulder. The barrel torques up against the receiver ring face.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Doug for the info. Here is a picture of what I was talking about. Again, there is a gap at the bottom of the breech face area. It looks like the receiver has been turned down but this gap does not run all the way around reciever ring. Any ideas what and why it's there?

-

Posts: 1002 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
mingo--

Thats the locking lug recess for the right lug.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jack,

Yes, it is the lug recess but between the lug recess and the breech face there is a gap about .060 wide. It looks like there is a shoulder or a step of some sort there for the breech face to butt against, but it never made the contact, leaving a gap in the area. I am still confused. Thanks!

<JBelk>
posted
mingo---

That's the last thread in the receiver. Ten TPI, sguare.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jack!

It is starting to make sense now. Now that you mention it, the gap is really "under" the breech face and it is not a "step" at all. Oh well I guess that the mystery is solved. Thanks!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mingo,

Quit teasing. What's attached to that receiver?
Looks very nicely contoured by the way.

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Todd,

It is a P-14 action with a #7 barrel contour in 500 A-Square. It belongs to a friend and I was thinking about acquiring it. It is one ugly beast but who cares as long as it works. Later.

one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
There was one of these at a local (Monroe LA) gun show a year or so ago with a McGowan barrel. Not sure who built it though. It was not the most beautiful piece of gunsmithing in the world but the price was ok, about $425 I think. I sure did want that beast if for nothing else but to stop a charging doe.
Be sure and let us know how it shoots.
I have a model 30 remington that might make a fine 500 A-Square.

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mingo,

Please post pics of the whole rifle if you can. I am working on a rifle on a P-14 right now, and like to see what other people do to the actions.

Thanks,
Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote