New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rebarreling the Ruger #1
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Where can I find information on rebarreling the Ruger #1. I want to get a 30 inch tube in 45-70 and still have the open sights. I would prefer a full octagon barrel and heavy. any suggestions???????

Posts: 99 | Location: Northeast Missouri | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had two #1's done with octagonal barrels. Both have had the quarter ribs machined and reattached to the barrels retaining the sights and scope mounting capability. Mine were done with 26" barrels but I recall that the gentleman who did them indicated he would be able to provide barrels, I think, to 32".
One is a 9.3x74r and the other a 6.5x55. The 9.3 is a tapered but still heavy barrel. The 9.3 started as a douglas blank and the 6.5 was a Montana Rifleman blank. Both shoot very well.
Work was done by John Taylor (johntaylormachine.com) I believe he is relocating at this time but will be back in operation in december.

Posts: 313 | Location: Alaska to Kalispell MT | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks dian 1 for the information. I will write it down and see if I can make contact him around the 15th of December. Thanks again/jebb45

Posts: 99 | Location: Northeast Missouri | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeb,

Go to http://www.gunmaker.net and go to the octagon barrel icon. There are photos of a Number One with an octagon barrel in the rifles section.