New
Find
Notify
Tools

1911 Spring Load Measuring
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
�Does anyone know heights/lengths at 1911 springs are rated?

I have several Recoil Guide, Hammer and Firing Pin Springs and I would like to measure their capacity properly.

For example �Which is the height/length all Recoil Guide Springs are when they support their specified loads? This lenght must be the same for all Recoil Springs 12 14, 16,18,20 lbs. Probably this length is, or depend on, a pistol dimension which is shown in 1911 Blueprints or Manuals, I do not have one .

I will thank all information about respective Rating Heights/Lengths for three above mentioned Springs.

BA Shooter

Posts: 126 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentine | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I measure spring force in the pistol with weights pulling down on the trigger gaurd while I hang on to the slide.
The weight that just makes the slide go all the way back to the stop is the measurement I write down.
I once made a triple recoil spring assembly from the Wolff gunsmith pak. It is 14 pounds to open the action and 42 pounds when the slide reaches the stop. I call that a 42 pound recoil assembly.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Clark.
I will try your method writing down values for all Recoil Springs I have.

BA Shooter

Posts: 126 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentine | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote