Find
Notify
Tools

Price Check: g33/40 action value
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Guys,

What do you feel is a fair price for a nice original g33/40 action? All matching numbers, not D&T or modified in any way and clean free of pitting and with bottom metal. Original 8x57 bbl is still attached, BTW Just a good unmolested action.

Thanks in advance for any thoughs & input

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It should not be butchered into a sporter if it is all matching. My opinion and experience. Worth far more restored into military configuration.

Posts: 17182 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dpcd,
The man wants a $$$ figure.

Posts: 437 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 20 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I can't give you one; it depends on a lot of factors. I have bought them for $250 to $750. Others have paid more. One thing is certain; I do not make sporters out of them and I try to discourage everyone from doing so. The WW2 collector market does not make sporterizing 33-40s a good idea.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I can't give you one; it depends on a lot of factors. I have bought them for $250 to $750. Others have paid more. One thing is certain; I do not make sporters out of them and I try to discourage everyone from doing so. The WW2 collector market does not make sporterizing 33-40s a good idea.

It is only a barreled action. Going price on an unaltered complete g33/40 ranges from about $1000 to closer to $2000 for a stellar example.

I've seen stocks alone go for close to a grand, but a mismatched rifle will barely fetch $750.

So, if you are buying, whatever you feel it is worth.

If you are selling, whatever the market will bear.

The least I have let a G33/40 action go for was $600 and it was not "unmolested." It was not fubar just not "original."

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have some un-numbered sets of stocks and bands, from which I can restore those barreled actions for WW2 collectors. 40 years ago, they were plentiful. Which is why I hate to see sporters made from them. So, "Only a barreled action" to me is important.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
It is equally important to the guy who wants to build a custom sporting rifle.

Do those stocks remain un-numbered once you restore those rifles?

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

Thanks for the thoughts and comments, it is all very helpful.

z1R - when you three out the 1 to 2k figure, were you referring to a complete original rifle or just a bbls action. Was thinking you meant an entire rifle, but wanted to check.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, I leave them un-numbered. I have both laminated and spliced walnut, which are the most rare. He meant $2k for complete rifles. More if they are mint condition.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Yes, complete rifles.

Complete (matching) serviceable carbines being at the lower end, and nicer examples fetching more.

Kinda wish I had me a 33/40 stock. I'd like to "restore" an barreled action I have. Kinda don't need anymore hunting rifles. But I'm not willing to pay what most want for a stock.

Aut vincere aut mori

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Around $650.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote