New
Find
Notify
Tools

Insurance
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What company besides Locton Affinity writes General Liability Insurance for Gunsmithing shops? I have used Locton Affinity for several years, but the cost has gone through the roof.

Bill Jacobs

NRA Endowment Member
US Army Veteran
CWP Holder
Gunsmith

Posts: 338 | Location: Greenwood, SC | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Not sure about 'smiths but our Club lost Lockton/Lloyds/NRA when ahole cuomo got elected in NY.

We are now insured by Berkshire after they bought Granite State customers.

Posts: 6484 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Avoid Lockton if at all possible.

They canceled my insurance because they decided I "manufacture barrels". I spent over two hours on the phone with them trying to explain to a bunch of idiots who supposedly are firearms experts and experts in providing insurance to the firearms industry. None of them knew a single thing about guns. Literally nothing. I finally spoke with a senior manager, or some such title, who flat out told me that they had nothing to do with the review process and no amount of explaining would reverse the decision.

I will message you a place to try.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1500 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
General Liability is easy, an agent should be able to provide that. Ours is through Shelter. Product Liability is whole nuther mater.

John

Posts: 563 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We're using a couple different providers. Lockton for general liablity, and Transguard to cover property (customer's guns in the shop and in transit).

Prices are through the roof though.

Posts: 593 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some wisdom to: "Insurance is like a lightening rod for lawsuits" As Gasgunner says, general liability can, maybe should be considered.

As far as clients guns...My position is that if they don't think enough of their guns to insure them, why should I be liable for the time they're in the shop.

A disclaimer can be considered

Obtaining a complete blanket of insurance may not even be possible, and certainly not affordable.

I'd suggest paying for a mini conference with a darn good attorney in your state so you know the "rules of engagement"

Posts: 3615 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for your insights. Plenty of food for thought.

Come next renewal time, I am going to do something different even if it's wrong!

Bill Jacobs

NRA Endowment Member
US Army Veteran
CWP Holder
Gunsmith

Posts: 338 | Location: Greenwood, SC | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote