Find
Notify
Tools

Whitworth Action
 Login/Join

<Mike Anderson>
posted
Gentlemen:

I would like to know if anyone has built a 416 rigby on the whitworth action? I have just put my hands on one of these actions which is in 375 H&H. I haven't done any close meassurements yet , but, it appears that it is a large/long enough action.

I'm new to large bores so I would appreciate your comments and experience with this action.

Regards
Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post

I would like to know if anyone has built a 416 rigby on the whitworth action? I

If it's like all of the ones I have looked at lots of metal in the bottom locking lug area has been removed to create a feed ramp for the .375 length cartridge. Take it to your favorite GUNSMITH and have him check it out!

Good Luck!!

Posts: 2359 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can build a 416 Rem on a Whitworth.

You cannot build a 416 Rigby on a Whitworth.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 42157 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

The Whitworth is too short, I believe, and just doesn't provide enough steel around that big fat Rigby cartridge. My PH in Zim. has a beautiful (in a worn, scratched up PH sort of way) Whitworth in .416 REM. Simply put . . .Same performance . . .Half the price.

Regards,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
<Mike Anderson>
posted
I appreciate the feedback on the whitworth!

thks again

Mike

So many guns so.. little time!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Why ruin a perfectly good .375 H&H...they have a rep for good barrels that seem a bit "faster" than most.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Jeez, yes, leave the .375 alone! If you want a .416 Rigby, get a CZ. If you want a .416 Rem, get a M70 but don't f . . . er, FOUL up the best .375 on the planet. Once you use the Whitworth in its original caliber, stand dumbfounded at the accuracy and shake your chronometer because you CAN'T possibly be getting that velocity with that load, you will understand.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Mike Anderson>
posted
I appreciate all the feedback!

However I should have said this action started off life as a 375 H&H. The barrel was removed before I bought it. I only have a plain action.

thks
Mike

one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Barbaric! Who would do such a thing? Ah, well, then since the best route is closed to you, a .416 Rem is probably the best bet in a modern Class II DGR. Ray and I, however, would put on a .404.
Sarge

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well that's a coincidence. I have a new Whitworth 375 length magnum action.

I'm trying to decide between barreling it with a 375 H&H or 404 Jeffery.

If I could locate a reasonable priced set of 404 dies, that would be enough to help me make up my mind.

Posts: 1545 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Craftsman, I don't know if you consider this reasonably priced or not but CH4D (www.ch4d.com) has .404 jeffery dies for $120.

<Cobalt>
posted
I had my first experience with CH dies last night. They would not size my brass enough to allow closure of the bolt(dummy cartridge or case). Closes just fine on the gauges. I load for 7 other rifle calibers using Redding dies and have never had a problem such as this. Redding does not mfg dies in this caliber. I will contact CH this evening to inquire if any one else has had this problem. Will post tomorrow. Cobalt

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cobalt,
Actually, Redding does manufacture .404 Jeffrey dies. I obtained a set a couple of weeks ago. They are beautifully made and the built in crimp works well also.

Posts: 75 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 05 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Boltman

Thanks for the tip. Was hoping to find a used set but I may have to get new ones or nothing.

Posts: 1545 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote