Find
Notify
Tools

Remington Model 8
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
Any gunsmiths that specialize in this rifle? I have been looking for either one in mint condition or a cheap one that can completed be restored (new wood, rebarrel/reline), etc. and can't find one. Caliber isn't that important, but would prefer 30 or smaller. I heard some folks would rechamber to a 300 savage. Obviously, don't want to do this with a mint condition rifle, but a rebuild for a rifle in bad shape would be ok.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3069 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are not that hard to find. I have a regular customer I do transfers for. He is good for 1 to several a month. Finds them online at gunbroker, auction arms, guns america,etc. You will, however, have a hard time finding wood for them. I have one in the shop now that I am reshaping Model 81 wood to fit the Model 8. The butt from a Browning Auto-5 is nearly identical to the Model 81 in that you need to remove the pistol grip and inlet the lower tang. Both the 81 and Auto-5 stocks are not cheap, but they are available. It is not a perfect match to the original Model 8 stock but it gets the gun back in the field. Unless you relish the prospect of a long term hunt for parts, I suggest you find one that does not need much work and is not missing any parts.

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 31 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are at least a couple of them,actually 4, unless one has been sold, in my local gun shop, one is an 81 (I think) in .300 Savage. I considered them a while back but don't need anymore dust collectors. I can't recall the prices but somewhere in the $350 to $450 range I think (one might be a bit higher, don't hold me to these numbers). As I recall, they're all appear to be in pretty good shape for their age but I didn't check the bores. If you're REALLY interested, I'll check on them Monday for you or I'll give you the phone number. My price will likely be better than yours since I'm a repeat, high volume customer, but I don't want to get in the middle. PM me if you want one now, not later.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote