Find
Notify
Tools

Received M1999 SS Mag Short Action
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted
Just received my two Montana 1999 stainless steel, RH, Win short Mag bolt face, short actions.

Both look good enough that the dealer through whose books they are being run tried to buy them from me. (With NO success, I might add...)

Surface finish quality is about the same as any new Remington or Winchester, so I don't think polishing will be my initial starting point with these actions. Maybe after they've been shot a while...

Thanks MRC. Will try to post some pics when these 9.3 WSM and .416 WSM rifles are done.

(A friend is trying to get me to chamber them both for .375 WSM instead, so when we hunt together, they'll have common ammo, but he hasn't succeeded either, YET.)

AC

[ 11-30-2003, 09:07: Message edited by: Alberta Canuck ]

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Oh sure, rub it in. Us lefties will just wait patiently and hope for a Christmas present.

[ 11-29-2003, 05:15: Message edited by: Fjold ]

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We ain't gonna get it by Christmas, Fjold. I'm hoping for a Valentine's Day delivery, at best.

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
<heavy varmint>
posted
Canuck, how would you rate the triggers? As Dan stated, these triggers are very adjustable. Mine was just about what I consider perfect for a hunting rifle. No adjustment or polishing nescesary.

This is not a "mine may be better than yours" question, it is just that I have been asked about the triggers and would like to know if the info I passed on, based on an example of one, was pretty well accurate.

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
The triggers are exact clones of the M70 Winchester trigger, at least at first glance. I haven't compared them side-by-side to see if they are dimensionally or geometrically the same.

If you like the M70 factory trigger, you will like this one. Mine arrived with a little creep, and set at about 4.5-5.0 pounds. HOWEVER, it is no trick at all to adjust these triggers if you are familiar with adjusting standard M70 triggers, so mine are now very nice.

I DO really like these actions. Basically a stainless short Model 70 with some good Mauser tweeks and a WSM boltface. I would have preferred a different way of holding the floorplate closed, but will turn different plungers out on the lathe for mine and will smile a lot every time I look at the rifles.

Now I have to get my danged Porsche repair bills paid off (am sticking a 'Vette engine in mine), so I can order a couple of the MRC Pro-Hunter actions.... I can already see shadows of a couple of Schulers creeping into my gun room....

AC

[ 12-06-2003, 03:23: Message edited by: Alberta Canuck ]

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote