THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

remove front banded sight 550CZ, Soldered?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey guys, help me out, my guess somebody has taken one off.

I would think its soldered, its the factory banded sight, CZ 550 in 416 rigby. I need to mount a brl band swivel. I could call CZ on monday, but wanted to get it done this weekend.

I can get it off either way, but figured somebody had done one.

Thanks, Billy

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My smith did the same for me on my .458 in mag he turned into a lott.......he said it was sweated on, but he managed to get it off and get the barrel band on no drama's.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
once I put my glasses on I could tell it was soldered. I it came off pretty easy, I did have to warm it up a little, but it slid right off and back on after I put the band on.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Gringo This sounds like the info i'm looking for. I would like to put a barrel band on my C Z 416 Rigby I'm redoing the stock on. I had been planing on useing a Brockmans magnum sling swivel stud that puts the sling just in front of the forend cap. First a couple of questions. I've always been led to believe that solder can loosen when hot blued. Did you epoxy the barrel band in place? Did you have to reblue the barrel and action? Thanks George

Posts: 63 | Location: Fla. | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes they are soldered and come off easy with a bit of hear and a tap from a wood mallet.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
George Wood,

If you taling about low temp solder getting hot in a blueing tank, I'm not the best guy to ask, but I would not think not, most low temp solder sliver solder is somewhere between 400-700 degrees with the f44 from browneslls being about 400 degrees if I remember correctly, I would doubt that, but thats just my take.

As far as the solder on my CZ, it was not all that low temp, but I didn't put a temp stick on it to find out, but it came off easy enough.

On the barrel band I just heated till it started to get red and tapped it down with a block of wood, would guess I streched it about 5-7 thousands. I plan to have the bld action blued, but you could cold blue the band and heat it up and put in on, might have to go back and touch it up same for the band upfront.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)