New
Find
Notify
Tools

Steyr M rebore to 9.3x62mm
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Steyr-Mannlicher Model MIII Professional chambered for .270 Winchester and am considering having it rebored to 9.3x62mm. I like the factory barrel with the spiral hammer marks so don't want to rebarrel. Is this a feasable conversion or would .338/06 be a better choice? I would assume either should be able to be used in the existing rotary magazine. Any suggestion on who to have do the work?

Posts: 766 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Found a gunsmith Randy Selby who said he can do it with about 5 month turnaround

Posts: 766 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pace, I've seen Model M Steyrs out there in 9.3x62. Might be easier to keep the 270 and get another rifle. I don't know if there's enough "meat" on a 270 barrel to take it out to a 9.3 anyway.

Posts: 20161 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Might just have to keep it a .270 and go with a CZ550 or the Ruger African in that caliber

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Of course the best would be a pre-war Mauser in the classic African style! But for some reason the Model M Professional stock, as ugly as it is, fits me so well and is the most comfortable stock I have used for off-hand shooting. If I could find a Model M with a wood stock I have finally found someone that makes a fiberglass stock for the mannlicher M in the same configuration. I wish I could have found them when I bought one several years ago that had a broken stock for a song!