Find
Notify
Tools

Alpha Arms Short Action?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi everyone,

I have an Alpha Arms .308 with a stock that's just too short. I'd like to restock the rifle but it seems to be something of a rare bird. When I bought the rifle, I figured the action would be a customized Mark X or Remington 700 or one of the other usual suspects.

Does anyone know which action Alpha Arms used as the basis of their rifles? Or anyone who might have replacement stocks?

Thanks

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The one that I had was one in itself. It was their own receiver and not built on another.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I vaguely remember the Alphas, I think from the early '80's. People are often worried about modfying guns due to the idea that they will soemhow detrsy "resale value." This i strue in some cases, but not most.

If you like the rifle and just need/want a newer/better/prettier/whatever stock, you can have your duplicated and made to new dimensions. I would call SHane Thompson at 208-547-0383 if you are considering having a new stock made. Shane has several different options he could offer you from a staright duplicate to a full blown custom stock.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marc,
I hope Analog's is a better receiver than mine. Mine was poorly made from a piece of CM tubing. I bought it from a gunsmith in Dallas off Garland rd. and Jupiter. Said he used to work for Alpha Arms and took some unfinished receivers in trade for payroll he wasn't getting.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In all honesty, I have a really nice little rifle, and the trigger is absolutely flawless. It's well used at this stage of the game, but that's fine with me. I bought it about a year ago from an online auction and I've bagged 4 pigs with it so far.

The only beef that I have with the gun, other than the short stock, is that the magazine holds 4 rounds, but the 4th round is a very tight fit and feeds poorly. With 1 in the tube and 3 in the chamber, it's perfect.

Since I haven't needed more than 1 shot for any of the pigs, the lack of a 5th shot hasn't bothered me. It's also as accurate as I can shoot, at the ranges that I'm willing to shoot.

I will say this, el cheapo Federal 180 gr .308 ammo works like a charm at .308 velocities. From what you read on these boards, you'd think that factory ammo couldn't kill a chicken at 12 feet, but this little rifle has been a death ray on the pigs.

All in all, I really like the rifle, but the stock just doesn't fit, even with a slip-on recoil pad.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have an idea what the stock duplication process would cost? Is it worth the effort, or am I better off just selling the rifle and moving on? It's a solid little gun, but if a new stock costs as much as a new rifle, I don't see much point in continuing down this path.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are at all handy with epoxy, you can fit it into a short-action remington stock of the fiberglass variety. I have one that I did...actually a model 7 footprint. Probably not as easy with a plastic take-off, but any of the better stock made from fiberglass. The other benefit to this is the stock will probably have more depth in the magazine area allowing the 4th round.

Posts: 109 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the helpful suggestion. As it so happens, I've just ordered a Remington Model 7, and will thus have a sample to examine.

Smiler

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the grand slam model in left hand in 284 Win that I bought new in 1998 just before the company went out of business. I had a few extras and I think I paid around $1800 through the Army Rod and Gun Club at Fort Riley, KS . It came with a three lug fluted bolt, a Douglas air-gaged barrel and a Timmney trigger as standard and a laminated stock. I may have one of the few left handed models made.
They had short and long actions in three models. The Grand Slam. The Classic with a AAA stock only weighed 6 pounds in short action and the Alaskan which came in larger calibers with a nickel coating on the metal. I also saw one at a Kansas gun show that had a cheap birch stock which I think came in the latter stages of the companies life. I think mine has metal bedding blocks. Two piece bases for a Savage 110 fit the rifle. Mine has a Winchester type safety and I must keep it on full safe because when it is in the middle position the bolt lift is so lite and bolt travel is so smooth it will open by accident. I think the older models had a different safety. The rifle came with a life time warranty but it was their life not the rifle owners life. I think I read in a book on rifles sometime around 1995 that the rifle was designed by Homer Koontz. Of course that is a long time to remember a bit of trivia. I still have mine and the stock is so hard there is not a scratch on it. It is a real shooter and came with a handload target using Speer 130 grains that a quarter would cover. My stock is of standard length of about 13-1/2" so your stock may have been shortened. You could add a larger recoil pad or some spacers. I hope this helps.

Posts: 595 | Location: camdenton mo | Registered: 16 October 2003Reply With Quote