New
Find
Notify
Tools

Eds Red variation
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The classic Eds Red formula calls for lanolin as an optional extra if a longer lasting protective coating is desired. Has anyone tried petroleum jelly (VaselineTM)as an alternative to the lanolin?

Posts: 59 | Location: Australia | Registered: 30 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure if the vaseline would stay in solution.
I thought 3/4 of the living creatures in Australia were sheep. I'm thinking there are tons of lanolin available.
Jim

[ 09-12-2002, 12:35: Message edited by: arkypete ]

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Just skip it. I use equal parts acetone, kerosene, atf and mineral spirits, and it works just fin.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually there doesn't seem to be much good quality anhydrous lanolin around and what is around costs more than 5 times as much as Vaseline. I know you don't need much per the formula so my question really is which is better for long term (over 12 months) storage. Apparently the old military cosmoline included Vaseline and beeswax in its formula. BTW, Vaseline is readily soluble in many hydrocarbon solvents according to my chemical dictionary. When I get the time I might make up a small batch with Eds Red I have on hand.

Posts: 59 | Location: Australia | Registered: 30 August 2002Reply With Quote
<Rezdog>
posted
I've got two five gallon dip/soak buckets OUTSIDE the house. First is 2 gallons of K-1 kerosene, a gallon of unleaded gasoline, and two quarts auto transmission fluid. This is for initial cleaning and loosening rust. Small parts go into a coffee can with a perforated bottom and a baling wire handle. Following cleanup the part then goes into a second "clean" bucket; same mixture but with the addition of two quarts of 5W motor oil.
I use this solution more for restoring antique metal items but have also used it on a severely carboned up Ruger Mk I with great success. I don't use it for barrel cleaning per se, just for long-term soaking of the really rough stuff. If you're going to refinish the parts then skip bucket #2 and thoroughly wash the parts in very hot water with some trisodium phosphate. Squeaky clean!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ozzie,

From Ed Harris:

"Petroleum jelly could be used to improve film strength and lubricity, and doing so would do no harm, is the USP grade were used.
However, the main reason that Gen. Hatcher used lanolin in the original Frankford Arsenal formula (which served as the basis for making Ed's Red, substituting ATF for the sperm oil) is because lanolin has a great affinity for absborbing water.

This makes the resulting cleaner much more effective as a flush after water cleaning to remove blackpowder or chlorate primer residues."

Posts: 172 | Location: Danville, VA, USA | Registered: 08 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Lanolin also makes it a little easier on the hands.....ol blue

Posts: 373 | Location: USA | Registered: 05 December 2000Reply With Quote