New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser actions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a mauser rifle marked waffenfabrik & the date 1916 stamped on it. Another has prezudence 44 on it. Are either of these actions suitable (or worth) building a custom rifle from? If so, would either handle something as large as a .404 and if not, what calibers might they be suitable for? Thanks in advance -Mike-

Posts: 1755 | Location: Waukesha, WI | Registered: 21 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might think this a silly? & although I have a few Mausers I'm not familiar with all the little nuances. Are they 98s / what? What calibre are they now? With modification 98s are made into some "large" calibres. Others with more expertise will likely chime in. Post a pic. or two iif you can. --- John 303.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks John, they are both mod 98's and are 8mm.

Posts: 1755 | Location: Waukesha, WI | Registered: 21 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 1916 spandu action I made into a 35whelen and have had no problems.The preduce is the polish version.I can't say about the 404 fitting.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
prezudence 44

This could be a refurbed K98k or a M48. Is it marked M48, M48A? Or does it just have a crest and the prezudence 44? Will the triggerguards interchange? If they do, then both are standard length 98 actions and either could be built into something as large as a .404.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.texastradingpost.co...niper/m48sniper.html

The M48 was made post war by Yugoslavia on the pattern of the K98 with some changes such as the full handguard and a shorter intermediate length action. All M48 Mausers were made in Yugoslavia at the Preduzece 44 factory, part of a group of factories for Zastava. Practically all parts of the M-48 rifles were milled as opposed to using stamped steel. The exception is the M48A and M48B rifles. In order to reduce production costs the Preduzece 44 factory used stamped barrel bands, stamped trigger guards, and stamped floor plates.

Posts: 217 | Location: SW WA | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
There are also re-built 98Ks marked Preduzece 44 with all the Nazi markings ground off; I have one. As well as the M48s, which are shorter than the standard 98, as stated.

Posts: 17182 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Captain Mike -

In theory, all standard length 98 Mausers can be made into .404s, but as there were some produced in the losing years of two World Wars, quality control during their manufacture is a concern to some gunsmiths. Some will flat refuse to do that conversion on SOME years and makes of Mausers.

If was going to spend the bucks for a true custom .404, I think I might first pick which gunsmith I wanted to have build it.

Then I would talk to him, and find out which Mauser actions he prefers. Then I would either let him supply it, if he can or will, or find one for him myself.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Sounds like I should just leave those guns as they are. The .404 was just a thought, not a necessity. Can I assume either of those actions would be OK for a 7X57?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Either action would be just fine for a 7x57, or an 8x.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote