New
Find
Notify
Tools

Could this be a problem? (Win Model 70)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I picked up a nice Win Model 70 Class stainless in .375 H&H a couple of weeks ago. While the rifle shoots good and and I have been pleased with it so far, it has one quirk that has really been bugging me.

Whenever I work the action, the takedown button on the bolt shroud fails to fully engage the square notch on the bolt body upon opening the bolt. In the link that I'm providing, you'll be able to see what I mean.

Is this something that needs to be addressed? if so, how? I'm having these terrible thoughts about the shroud turning just enough to get hung up on the tang, which could be bad in a hunting situation.
http://s1336.beta.photobucket.....jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
The link takes me to my own photobucket account.
Sounds like you need to tear it down and clean really good, could be the spring is gummed up or the spring behind the plunger is weak.

Now I can see the picture that isn't the case, looks like the notch and plunger ar misaligned

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you can cure that by altering the notch in the bolt body where the cocking piece rides. I would have to see it up close to make sure.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You want it to engage but really what is happening is that your cocking piece nose is resting on a notch in your bolt body; it might not be aligned well. But it shouldn't be a problem; many bolt actions don't have a detent at all; like the Rem 700; they rely on the cocking piece restiing in the bolt notch to keep the bolt shroud in place. The bolt shroud locks are only used on actions with 3 position safeties so the bolt shroud does not rotate when you open the bolt. Damn, I see that the previous poster already told you this; I need to read before answering. Too late now. Don't try to alter the relationship between the cocking piece and the bolt just to make the detent fit; you might rotate the cp enough so it won't go into the receiver slot. As stated, have to look at it. Or you could just ignore it.

Posts: 17269 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
You want it to engage but really what is happening is that your cocking piece nose is resting on a notch in your bolt body; it might not be aligned well. But it shouldn't be a problem; many bolt actions don't have a detent at all; like the Rem 700; they rely on the cocking piece restiing in the bolt notch to keep the bolt shroud in place. The bolt shroud locks are only used on actions with 3 position safeties so the bolt shroud does not rotate when you open the bolt. Damn, I see that the previous poster already told you this; I need to read before answering. Too late now. Don't try to alter the relationship between the cocking piece and the bolt just to make the detent fit; you might rotate the cp enough so it won't go into the receiver slot. As stated, have to look at it. Or you could just ignore it.

Eloquently put!

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jackguthary:
I picked up a nice Win Model 70 Class stainless in .375 H&H a couple of weeks ago. While the rifle shoots good and and I have been pleased with it so far, it has one quirk that has really been bugging me.

Whenever I work the action, the takedown button on the bolt shroud fails to fully engage the square notch on the bolt body upon opening the bolt. In the link that I'm providing, you'll be able to see what I mean.

Is this something that needs to be addressed? if so, how? I'm having these terrible thoughts about the shroud turning just enough to get hung up on the tang, which could be bad in a hunting situation.
http://s1336.beta.photobucket.....jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

With the bolt in the gun and in battery, lift the bolt handle and then rotate the bolt shroud clockwise to see if there is enough movement to allow the button to engage the notch. If so, have someone, preferably a gunsmith, who is really good with a TIG torch, add a little filler metal to the bottom edge of shroud to position it a little higher on thje left side so that the button will automatically engage like it was designed to do. A good welder/gunsmith should easily be able to make it appear seamless. Use a good stainless filler and afterwards, bead blast the shroud. Or, try a different shroud.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ok, but be careful that you don't rotate the cocking piece/bolt shroud too much to allow smooth movement in the receiver slot. You can try to rotate the shroud to try to make the detent engage it's slot, and then make sure the cocking piece still moves smoothly in the receiver. If so, all you need to do is to taper your detent a bit. Welding on the shroud will force the shroud more closed, true; but then you have to fight that friction every time you close the bolt. But it could work. Have to see it.

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Ok, but be careful that you don't rotate the cocking piece/bolt shroud too much to allow smooth movement in the receiver slot. You can try to rotate the shroud to try to make the detent engage it's slot, and then make sure the cocking piece still moves smoothly in the receiver. If so, all you need to do is to taper your detent a bit. Welding on the shroud will force the shroud more closed, true; but then you have to fight that friction every time you close the bolt. But it could work. Have to see it.

Trust me, a competent gunsmith will know what to do.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had a couple of pre-64 model 70s with that problem. The parts are either under size or worn. Either way, the piece needs to be replaced,
Do not do any welding!!
I couldn't find a replacement that had proper fit, so I had a special mill tool cutter made. It cuts the proper profile and I used it to make a couple of replacement parts. Been 15 years since the last part was replaced and I have not seen any deterioration of the new part. (Its in my sons rifle).
If you can't find a part that fits properly, I can try to make one for you. Proper fit means that the bolt shroud notch is fully engaged.
I don't sell items and am not in business to sell items. I just try to be helpful when all else fails. Try Numrich Gun Parts.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It can be fixed with no new parts required; I, as well as a 'competent gunsmith" know what to do.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies, gents. I think that I am probably going to leave it alone. With the safety all the way forward and even with the detent not quite fully engaging the notch, it would still take quite a bit of force to turn the shroud enough to cause any problems (and what are the odds of that happening when in the field?). However, if it starts becoming even more misaligned, I will likely get in touch with a gunsmith.