Notify
Tools

Anybody like Ottmar rifles?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted
Here's a link to a new Ottmar rifle up for sale at: Hallowell's

I can tell who this rifle was built for by the lettering and screws. All of Ottmar's rifles after about '88 were hand lettered and the screws done.

If I remember right, the rifles built for this guy needed to be under 7 lbs.(without scope). If you have ever built a rifle, you know that is pretty difficult with English walnut.

Back to the original question. Anybody like Maurey's work?

Posts: 1632 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Of course I like them and these threads as well with those excellent pictures. The color of that stock is just right for me.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I love Ottmar's work. Maurice was very innovative, yet a true classictype gunmaker, and he built rifles to hunt with. Wonderful detail and finish work!

One of the worst cases of rifle-heartbreak I've ever had was when I visited Nosler's Shooter's Pro Shop in Bend, OR a few years ago. They had a Champlin rifle on a Champlin action in .338 Win. Mag., complete with a superb Ottmar stock. It had a fantastic, straight-grained dark French walnut, and it was perfectly executed. The trouble was, it was a built for a left-hander, or else that beauty would be in my collection today.

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Beaaaauuuuutiful. I really like the mirrored "ejection port" on the left side of the stock. I don't believe I've seen one like that before. And, the checkering is awesome as well. Fine caliber, too.

Another fine learning experience. Thanks, Roger, for posting it....

MKane160 aka BigDogMK

Posts: 488 | Location: TN | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

One of the worst cases of rifle-heartbreak I've ever had was when I visited Nosler's Shooter's Pro Shop in Bend, OR a few years ago. They had a Champlin rifle on a Champlin action in .338 Win. Mag., complete with a superb Ottmar stock. It had a fantastic, straight-grained dark French walnut, and it was perfectly executed. The trouble was, it was a built for a left-hander, or else that beauty would be in my collection today.

Allen, my heart bleeds for you.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
check gunbroker.com 20507919 and 20981223

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger,
Thanks for that link. I never tire of looking at his work.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chuck,
If Allen had that left handed rifle today, he would probably just send you pictures of it to torment you!

Posts: 3570 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
Chic

I never tire of his work either. He definetely was "as good as the best and better than the rest". He had something for everyone, and was never married to one particular style. I believe that is the biggest reason I mourn his passing, he did so many things and did them all well. Besides that he was a first class person in all respects. The world was definetely a better place when he was in it.

Many thanks also Roger for providing that link.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice that appeals to me for sure !!

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
That is certainly a beautiful rifle and the fact that it is a pre-64 I'm sure it'll be a fine shooter. I've never had a problem hunting with rifles like that, if by some reason I marr the finish, then I just have a good gunsmith repair it. Also, if I know that I'm going into inclement weather hunting and terrain ( like Alaska for example) I'll take a stainless/synthetic rifle. Having said that, I've never had a problem with wood stocks shifting zero or falling apart. Here's my custom 338 Model 70:

Not as nice as yours, but let me tell you it shoots! Let us know how it shoots! jorge

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
Outstanding looking rifle, but maybe it's just me, but that rifle screams 7x57, instead of 7mm-08. Ballistically they're virtually identical, but it's that nostalgia thing.

Reminds me of a thread a few days ago on 24hourcampfire about the same thing, or maybe it was here i dunno.

Regardless, that's just plain classy.

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alvinmack
posted Hide Post
Jorge,

Here is the non small picture of your rifle...

Posts: 448 | Location: Lino Lakes, MN | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Scrollcutter

It's a very nice rifle but the caliber isn't that classic a 7X57 or 7X64 would been more suitable.

Cheers
/ JOHAN

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
I agree completely. However, Ottmar was building rifles for people who thought that he should build it in a caliber they wanted.

That was meant as a joke, not a smart a$$ed remark.

Posts: 1632 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
That's not sap wood.

I think that the sticker was normally about 8500 quid when he did the metal work and the stock work.

<SDH>
posted
Roger, I saw the rifle as it came up on hallowells, and I was just a bit taken with that tiny strip of "white walnut". Considering that Maurice stocked them "from the blank", and considering the perfect layout of the rest of the stock, I'm sure of two things.
He got the absoute best layout he could with the wood provided and, he was not happy with those two little streaks!