Find
Notify
Tools

New Trigger Installation
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Joe R. Lock
posted
I want to replace the military trigger on a 98 Mauser action. I was thinking of a Timney without the side safety. In looking at it, it looks to be a rather straight forward process; i.e., remove the military trigger by knocking out the retaining pin, install the new trigger and replace the retaining pin, and tighten the screw on the front base of the new trigger housing. Other than the possible removal of some wood in the stock to allow the new trigger to drop into the stock, are there any other things that need to be done as in any filing of any metal parts? Or do I have it right?
joe

Posts: 236 | Location: Florida | Registered: 08 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sometimes you have to widen the trigger slot in the guard. You may also have to remove some metal from the top of the guard (the part facing the stock) to clear the body of the trigger.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 545 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You MAY need a two position safety.
Big Grin

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe R. Lock
posted Hide Post
A low scope Buhler type safety has already been installed.
joe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Timney triggers come with excellent instructions , you should be good to go with them alone !

Don't forget to have your Liberals spayed or neutered !

Posts: 104 | Location: Bristol , VT | Registered: 12 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You've pretty much got a handle on it. I usually put a drop of Loctite on the set screw threads as I had one work loose once.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe R. Lock
posted Hide Post
The installation went off without a hitch. It was incredibly easy. I just knocked out the retaining pin and the old trigger just dropped right off. I then installed the new one with the same retaining pin, tightened the front pressure screw w/ a drop of loctite and done. I did have to remove quite a bit of wood from the inside of the stock to allow the action w/ the new trigger to drop in. That was fairly easy to do w/ my moto tool. The bolt and safety functions flawlessly and the trigger is crisp w/ no slop or slack anywhere. Thanks guys for encouraging me to do it.
joe