New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cross Bolts
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Drilling for cross bolts is a piece of cake when working with a square blank...IF you don't forget. That was the case with this job, so reverted to my simple jig. Easy to make, and accurate if you measure twice and drill once.

Posts: 3509 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one who's forever getting one step ahead, which invariably puts me two steps behind. I actually use the table top of the fore end for a lot of work too. I drill all of my pillars for bedding using it with toe clamps and those rubber vise jaws to protect the stock. That flat on the stock is one of the few points on a gun stock that should be true and square to the world. Well, that's the theory anyway.

coffee

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So I take it that there is a part of this jig that we do not see that adjusts the height of the wood on one end to make the blank absolutely level.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
I expect Duane has drilled the holes for the tang screw bolts perfectly square and level in the back board. I have a 90 degree angle plate that is drilled and tapped for the Winchester model 70 and all of the 700s for holding stocks and receivers horizontal in the machine. It's just a matter of bolting the work piece to the upright and tossing a level on it to double check it.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like it. regards, bill

Posts: 3577 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I expect Duane has drilled the holes for the tang screw bolts perfectly square and level in the back board.

tu2 YEARS ago had a jig set up to use the screw holes to align for an already shaped stock. Got pitched in one of my moves.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On the back side, the holes for the screws are elongated so can one do about any action..Just use nuts to tighhten down

Posts: 3509 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pure
sweetness.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Duane

I really like your jig. Do you do anything on the opposing side to prevent chipping out when the drill bit exits ?

Keep posting your projects, your ideas and techniques are really useful.......How about a start to finish sequence on shaping from the blank ?

Craftsman

Posts: 1540 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps I should have taken a photo of the back. At any rate, just some elongated holes,. I go through the guard screws holes with long 1/4 -20 set screws, using a washer with 1/4-20 nut on the back.

As mentioned, elongating the holes allows you to accommodate just about any action guard screw spacing

Somewhere, there is sequence of making a stock in AR archives. Try "Scholarship Rifle"?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://forums.accuratereloadin...1043/m/347103474/p/1

then go to page 12

(I'd pay good money to see all of this happing in a DVD, with Duane of course being the star of the show)

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks fellows.

Craftsman

Posts: 1540 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote