THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    SA actions, pros/cons Win 70 CRF/Kimber 84M/Sako L579

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SA actions, pros/cons Win 70 CRF/Kimber 84M/Sako L579
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted
Leaning to these 3, what can you tell me about accuracy potential in these three, if you were to compare them all?

Does the Kimber and Sako need truing, etc, or are they true from the factory. Heard Sako's often need no/little blueprinting.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the sako A2/L57/L579 is not just a regular action with 1/2" cut out of the middle like most 'short' actions, it has a smaller receiver ring and bolt body diameter than a full size A3/A5/L61R action.

they are great for making a small scale hunting rifle, but I would consider them a little small to hang a heavy barrel onto.

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Barrel would be for a hunting rifle, short actioned cartridge, 22-23" max, muzzle OD from .675-.725 max, likely would finish at .700. Should not be too much weight I would think.

Will/can the Kimber handle said barrel weight? Look to bedding first half inch-one inch or so of barrel forward of action. Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
6.5br,
I am confident most of us are aware of rifles that group very well whether rem700,m70,m98 etc.
an old factory rem 700-222rem formed clusters that rubbed shoulders, old factory zkw465-22hornet with dumpy 45gnrs' did same,(with barrel forend screw and all)and are well known for doing so.
A RiflesInc.700TiSA 6.5-284 I witnessed,did groups .5" and notably less(barnes 140xlc 2900),weighed 4.7lb and had orig. receiver dia. machined down.
Echols M70 rifles are well know for accurate consistent grouping with FW barrels.

As far as im concerned,its mostly depends on hands and mind of the person putting the rig together, then getting other variables correct as well(loads,good bench technique)

I would not take many folks word as gospel that an action is true, regardless of price.
My kind of barrel fitter will/should verify and correct as necessary such things before he fits a tube,its often included in price.
I havent owned a Sako in yrs, but a neat trim built L579 in 260,7mm08 always gets my attention. with brl like you see on the Sa synthetic kimber.. thumb
Kimbers/rems dont do much for me simply cause I dont like sandwich recoil plates.

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Guess you mean the lug on the Rems? Same on Kimber? Know Win and Sako old style integral as mausers, never faulted my old '96 mausers, everything seemed to work and be done with a purpose, wondered if the metal shims IIRC under the floorplate screws helped accuracy? Either way, never faulted accuracy.

I felt as you said, if work done right, any action can do well. Do know lock time is better on some actions, in OEM form. Helps field accuracy.

Tell me Woodjack, what would your top 2 or 3 action preferences be if you don't mind? Just want your thoughts, not to criticize. Thanks.

I also like falling blocks and kick myself selling a Low Wall 243, NICE wood, smooth action, and they just keep going up, but money aside the Hagn action is nice, but Ruger better in the budget. Dakota had a SWEET and I do mean sweet 223 on the Miller Arms F action at the SHOT show, but HIGH dollar though, and of course the old Hall falling block looked nice/compact, but heard extraction issues from a top shooter 'in the know' so still leaning to bolt for simplicity, cost inc. decent trigger/locktime, and always have a repeat shot if desired/needed just in case.

BTW, on factory rifles, what are your thought on the recoil lug set up on the Sako 75's? Not like the L579 era.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Im not an expert, but I do have good tastes and appreciate fine wrkmanship which has always been something I strived for in my machining trade yrs.I dont like to criticise peoples choices, cause we all have diff. budgets,priorities and tastes.

Hard to ignore M70sa and Sako L579 for price.
Hagn small frame FB; simply a class act.
H&W Kurz; a fine bit of metal also, not cheap upfront,but not expensive over the long term.
Considering what many people spend (and loose) on updating motor vehicles,tobacco,alcohol,gambling,women,over the yrs, the cost of an H&W kurz that may joy its owner for 20-30yrs or more, is a relative bargain!
The only latest Sako I have looked at has been the 85,very very smooth indeed, have not looked beneath the woodline.

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
I do like the fixed ejector on the m70 and L579. Between those 2, if you had to rank, what would you pick first and why?

Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Id be most inclined toward M70sa,

-cause I more prefer stainless,
-it accepts 6.5x55 & 7x57 based rounds well
-Bolt handle offers very good clearance on low mounted scopes.
-dualdovetail bases/rings make for a very simple solid and economical setup. m70sa
Crf or not, I mostly prefer rifles with blade eject.

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that is how I mounted a 7/08 long ago, M70 PF fwt, what caliber is your SS SA there?

Super low rings right? Makes a great fast acquistion doesn't it.

Thanks for the info.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes Superlow rings with still good bolt clearance,chamber is 22/250, still waiting to be tubed in 7x57, it will eventually, be a fast aquisition natured little demon of a rifle(with 140gn monometals) for medium game,sure to delight some folk.
What ya say, around a .540@23" tube(3/4" reinfrce)in an McEdge? in other words a 7lb/7x57/m70sa scoped slayer,that youd be glad to tote just about anywhere.

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
I think you have it worked out, show some pics when you can!